Rooster Not in the Mood??????? Ever!

Justuschicks

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Keswick, Virginia
This past summer I adopted a Bantam Old English rooster from someone who was relocating to a place where the roo wasn't welcome. It just so happened that I had an OE hen who needed a friend. Well, this rooster was hatched by this family as an experiment and was 2 when I got him and had never seen another chicken. Well he has adjusted well to his new surroundings and I even got another girl to go with him. He has 2 ladies, what more could he ask for? Well none of the eggs are fertile and I have never once seen him jump the girls. Is it possible that he went so long that the use it or loose it factor comes into play? I have never dealt w/ a rooster not doing his business. I even have roos jump other roos or the ground for that matter if there isn't a hen around. What's the deal w/ this little guy. Anyone have a clue? Thanks

Last edited:
Check his weight. If light, then provide a richer diet and check for worms, If weight good to heavy, then Isolate him. Give him some treats high in protein and some greens, Also cut his overall feed intake back a little. You want him to frequently crow and flap wings in your presence.

Last edited:
ya.gif
YAYY! Gay rooster! Get another gay rooster, it would be cute.

ya.gif
YAYY! Gay rooster! Get another gay rooster, it would be cute.

He crows a lot and anytime he is out he picks a fight with my RIR/production roo who has to be pushing 15lbs. He is on layer feed like his girls and scratch as a snack once a day. He doesn't free range much because he doesn't play well with others. I even thought about sticking their pen in front of my Barred rock pen so he could watch the action in there. That rooster just jumps from one hen to the other all day. ChicaChicka Bow wow! lol

Last edited:
Leave the rooster, take away the hens for a few days. keep the hens isolated from a rooster too so they might be "very willing" when returned. Normally, roosters get very excited at the introduction of a hew hen or if hens have been away for a day or two & returned. Sometimes a hen that has not been bred for a while will squat when they have access to a rooster again.The sight of a squatting hen usually induces any rooster into breeding her immediately or may be the cue he needs to finally breed the hens. He just might be like Steve's character in "The Jerk".

I even thought about sticking their pen in front of my Barred rock pen so he could watch the action in there. That rooster just jumps from one hen to the other all day. ChicaChicka Bow wow! lol

That actually might work, lol. I know if a rooster in a pen is mating a hen, the rooster in my other coop gets all crazy trying to get through the wire to the hen.
Or you could try the separating the hens like others have said.

I have watched neighboring roosters appear to compete with each other as if to say, "look at what I can do" "No, look what I can do"

My original hen is real tame and snuggles w/ her eyes closed next to me but she sure holds her own around the big girls when she has been free ranging. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't letting him jump on her. But I have never even see him try.

Back
Top Bottom