Rooster Not Walking and Just Laying

Shood87

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
South East PA
Hello All,

So one of our roosters hasn't really moved in the last day and a half. came down the morning of 5/30/22 around 7:30am and they both seemed fine. Went golfing and I got home my wife informed me that our one roo Chic'King hadn't moved all day. We came home from a birthday party and he was still in the same spot. I went into the pen to try and move him and he just sat there and I don't believe he went up into the coop at night. . Nothing has changed regarding diet or anything. only thing i can think of is possibly heat? It was hot this whole weekend here in SE PA.

I have included two pictures from today where he is kind of leaning on a leg or looks like he is trying to stand but cant fully do it.

We are just wondering what may be going on. I can get you more information as needed as well as pictures and what not.

Thanks to all in advance!!!!!

chicking 1.jpg
chicking 2.jpg

Have you picked him up to check for any signs of injuries? Check all over, bottom of feet too. While you're at it, look for any bugs (lice/mites). Can he see? Legs paralyzed?
You'll have to examine him a bit.

If he's not moved in a day, then I'd also get some fluids into him. Electrolytes are good to give. Once drinking well, then introduce a little food.

Thank you.

So last night we were able to pick him up and take a look. nothing seemed to be wrong with him. No wounds and or and type of mite or bug infestation. We got him to drink some water out of a dropper and then out of the waterer.

He started to walk but still seemed lethargic.

We did notice while we were watching them that the other rooster looked like he tried to get on the others back at one point and was pecking him. Could this be a bullying situation?

You may need to separate him out if the other one is trying to mount him.
Possibly they got into a fight, hard to know and this one is exhausted.

Photos of his poop would be good. You've had them about a month or so?
Coccidiosis comes to mind as well - might not be a bad idea to get a fecal float to check.

Cockerels can mount one another as a show of dominance and other things too, but mainly dominance when it's males involved. They may have had a fight too and he was kicked pretty hard - really can't say since no one saw it.

I would get him drinking then eating. Give electrolytes for today. If you can't get a fecal float, then treating both for Coccidiosis may be helpful, they are both new to your property.

Sometimes if a cockerel or rooster is beaten or dominated, especially early on or an up and coming youngster takes them down, they can lose confidence which can make them droopy. But I would treat as potential illness, see that he's eating his chick starter well, get some extra protein into him and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom