Rooster of unknown origin breeding with black australorps

NEW INFO!

Previous owner just responded saying he is a brahma orpington.

He has been with the hens for about 5 months, and I know he has been very "busy" with them. I cracked open the 4 amberlink eggs that never developed. They were only a yolk. I didn't want to see the mess of the underdeveloped ones.
All my Brahma have foot feathers. All my offspring of Brahma had foot/ankle feathers (albeit fewer). As best I can determine, all their offspring had foot feathers too (though its a roll of the dice at that point), and none had lots of feathers like a full brahma.

If there is Brahma in that roo, based on the lack of foot feathers, and the comb, its generations back.

This is from June of last year, I circled the ones with foot feathers. Each had Brahma or SLW mamas*. Its possible their papas were half Brahama/SLW - particularly the one at far right. Now look at the combs.

Age, btw, about 7 weeks.

*Its possible mid circle was one of the half Brama Roos over either a comet or a Hoover Hatchery "Rainbow" - I lean toward Rainbow for that, acually. I don't use selective breeding, there's a lot of chaos in my mix.

1676125581607.png

NEW INFO!

Previous owner just responded saying he is a brahma orpington.

He has been with the hens for about 5 months, and I know he has been very "busy" with them. I cracked open the 4 amberlink eggs that never developed. They were only a yolk. I didn't want to see the mess of the underdeveloped ones.
I could see him being an Orp mix. He's not a Brahma mix.

This is from June of last year, I circled the ones with foot feathers. Each had Brahma or SLW mamas*. Its possible their papas were half Brahama/SLW - particularly the one at far right. Now look at the combs.

Age, btw, about 7 weeks.

*Its possible mid circle was one of the half Brama Roos over either a comet or a Hoover Hatchery "Rainbow" - I lean toward Rainbow for that, acually. I don't use selective breeding, there's a lot of chaos in my mix.

View attachment 3401889
They have modified pea combs as well. Which would be expected.

All I have to go by is what the previous owner told me. He was born during lockdowns, so he was one of their only sources of entertainment and watched and handled a lot.

I have no Idea about the feet feathers. As long as they are healthy and lay as well as their mommys do, I am happy.

As others have said, he's got a dominant white gene and I agree that I don't see any Brahma characteristics. Perhaps the previous owner got the eggs mixed up.

Except when blue or dominant white are involved, Black Australorps mostly produce black chicks -- occasionally with some leakage, especially in the males.

Back
Top Bottom