rooster oppression, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marshmallowpeeps, Dec 28, 2009.

1. marshmallowpeeps

marshmallowpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi,
    I have 2 buff orpington roosters that were born in June and raised together, along with pullets. They are full grown now and acting like real roosters [​IMG] . One of them is the clear dominant one. He chases the #2 roo all over, ALL DAY, every day. The #2 guy does nothing anymore but frantically try to hide. He even hides in the nest, behind the water container, anyplace. If he can't find a place, he will go to a corner and stick his head down in the straw. He is scared to death.

I know that roos will fight and one will be dominant, etc, but will this go on forever? Is there anything I can do to make it less? I feel sorry for #2 roo, and also he is really annoying, knocking over everything in his path as he runs away.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, the best thing you can do for roo #2 is to re-home him. He will always live on the edges of the flock and never know a quiet day.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it's a fact of life for roos when one is extremely dominant and the other is very submissive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by