1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster oppression, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marshmallowpeeps, Dec 28, 2009.

1. marshmallowpeeps

marshmallowpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi,
    I have 2 buff orpington roosters that were born in June and raised together, along with pullets. They are full grown now and acting like real roosters [​IMG] . One of them is the clear dominant one. He chases the #2 roo all over, ALL DAY, every day. The #2 guy does nothing anymore but frantically try to hide. He even hides in the nest, behind the water container, anyplace. If he can't find a place, he will go to a corner and stick his head down in the straw. He is scared to death.

I know that roos will fight and one will be dominant, etc, but will this go on forever? Is there anything I can do to make it less? I feel sorry for #2 roo, and also he is really annoying, knocking over everything in his path as he runs away.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, the best thing you can do for roo #2 is to re-home him. He will always live on the edges of the flock and never know a quiet day.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it's a fact of life for roos when one is extremely dominant and the other is very submissive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by