Rooster or Chicken?

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
A few months ago, March I think, I purchased 5 young chicks. They had wing feathers, so they were not as young as the little peeps. I was told that one of the was a speckled sussecks (I know its spelled with an ecks, but that key is ripped off of the computer I am using), but grown up, it does not look anything like any of the speckled sussecks that I have reasearched. Neither the male NOR the female. The things is that she (he) is really beginning to look rooster-like, with a skinnier body shape and tail feathers growing longer. I mean, my other girls are fat, and robust, and they cluck. "Raptor" (the chicken's name) still peeps like a baby, and has not begun crowing yet. They are definitely old enough to begin crowing, so I am just worried that "it" will be a boy and I will have to get rid of him. I would be so sad about that. Regardless, I really want to know what breed it is. This is a picture from the web and he/she looks almost eggsactly like this. www.motherearthnews.com/.../Homesteading1.jpg

Please
help! Thanks

Well, I'm going to respond to myself. I figured it out. She's a Welsummer. Anyway, guess the feed store got them messed up. At least she's not a rooster.

Couldn't see the pic; the link was messed up, but I was just going to say that I also had a feed store mixup last year (actually, the whole batch was wrong, so it was the hatchery) but she was suppossed to be an Ideal 236, but ended up being a wheaten colored EE. I'm glad though. She lays huge pale blue eggs for me & is sweet as can be. I also had a "mixup" when a local chicken lady sold me a blue cochin "pullet" (I'll take it back if it's a boy....yeah, ok....LOL) that ended up being the sweetest rooster daddy you ever met. I'm sooooo glad he was a boy & found a true love for the cochin breed through having him. So, hopefully your mixup will have a happy ending for you - you might end up glad it was wrong after all!
tongue.png
I hear that those wellies have beautiful eggs too! Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom