Rooster or Hen? Almost 8 Weeks old ( I think)

Shane Q

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Is this a rooster or a hen?

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 942
If you are positive about 8 weeks of age, then that is a rooster.

Hens only get comb growth and reddness just before point of lay, which can vary, depending upon breed, from 18 to 24 weeks.

Since your bird has a large red comb now, and is around 8 to 10 weeks of age, it is a rooster. Roosters get red combs early. Depending upon the breed, roosters can show a red comb at 4 to 10 weeks of age...at any rate...if you get a large red comb sometime before 10 to 12 weeks of age, you've got a boy.

Sorry!

LofMc

They look older than 8 weeks just based on their size and feathering and I can tell it's a hen because of her tail it's not tall and no well I don't know how to describe a rooster tail but you could look up rooster tails and hen tails comparison

If you are positive about 8 weeks of age, then that is a rooster.

Hens only get comb growth and reddness just before point of lay, which can vary, depending upon breed, from 18 to 24 weeks.

Since your bird has a large red comb now, and is around 8 to 10 weeks of age, it is a rooster. Roosters get red combs early. Depending upon the breed, roosters can show a red comb at 4 to 10 weeks of age...at any rate...if you get a large red comb sometime before 10 to 12 weeks of age, you've got a boy.

Sorry!

LofMc
agreed

Assuming it's considerably older than estimated (4 months-ish), I'd say pullet. The body shape seems to suggest this to me. By the same token, the redness and development of comb and wattle suggest cockerel - particularly if the age estimate is roughly correct.

Back
Top Bottom