Rooster or Hen? and what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiffvitorino, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tiffvitorino

tiffvitorino Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have a mixed flock my Americana Hen decided to sit on some eggs and she had these a while back. Im guessing leghorn and americana? But not sure on the male/female part. Can someone help me? Also how long should I wait to mix them back with the large flock. I have had them with the mom separate all this time. Now the mom decided again to sit on some eggs and broody? Should I leave her and let her go again or try and break her and mix them all together with the rest? Are they ready to mix?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They aren't clear enough pictures for me to sex them so could you try and get better ones? Also what breeds are in your flock? They are old enough to be mixed back in, you should read this article if you want some tips: Adding New Chickens to Your Flock. Now about you mama hen it is up to you if you want her to hatch more eggs or not, if you don't want her to then I would break her now and mix her in with her chicks. Oh, a future tip for next time I have had people tell me that you can mix the broody hen and her baby chicks in with the flock when they are a few days old. If you want me to try and sex them

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    It looks like two pullets but the white one could be a roo.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think the white is a cockerel. It's just too leggy to be pullet. Not to mention he looks young, age I'm thinking no pullet excepting rose comb would be showing red in comb.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the white is a cockerel too. How old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by