Rooster or hen Question

jasonquinnryan

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Central P.A.
Hi, Can someone please give us some advice on our Light Brahma chicks?
Our chicks are now 7 weeks old and are doing great. Out of out three light Brahmas one of them is starting to act like a rooster. This morning when I went out early in the a.m., the largest of the three was puffed up with its wings out and was starting to kind of "crow" like a rooster. It was loud and we have never heard it do that before. This chick has the small comb and we thought it was a pullet...until now.
Our question is: Will a pullet/hen that is dominant make noises like this? At what age would a rooster start crowing in the morning?
I hope this isn't a silly question, we are new to chicks and are learning every day. Thank you for any help

Sometimes a hen will crow and take on the characteristics in the absence of a rooster. But seven weeks does sound kind of young if a hen. Can you post pictures?

My cockerels didn't start crowing until they were about 4 months old, but I had 16 of them and an already dominant roo at the time (though they all started crowing in the same week, and my rooster didn't mind).

If you don't have a cockerel or rooster, some hens will take over the job and will try to "crow", but I've heard it doesn't sound like a normal cockerel/rooster crow.

Also, roosters don't just crow in the morning. Crowing is a territorial thing, and they will do it at all hours of the day.

Back
Top Bottom