Rooster or Hen

SnoresLikeBear

Hatching
Aug 15, 2020
This chicken was purchased from TSC, as an Asian Black Chicken, in mid March. From what I have read, it will transition to all black with iridescent blue and green.

Until this it's been a fairly calm and quiet chicken. Now the crowing has begun. So I'm trying to figure out if it's a rooster or a hen that has assumed the role.

Attachments

• 0815200818b.jpg
    0815200818b.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0815200839a.jpg
    0815200839a.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0815200838c.jpg
    0815200838c.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 17
Looks male to me. The pointy hackle and saddle feathers, the huge comb and wattles... I don’t know much about Asian blacks either but I’d be leaning away from it actually being one... that’s a lot of mature feathering for a bird that’s supposed to be black with iridescence... looks like a sex link to me.

Pretty impressive comb and wattles for the age. In addition there appears to be male saddle feathers towards the tail. Male is my guess.

Looks male to me. The pointy hackle and saddle feathers, the huge comb and wattles... I don’t know much about Asian blacks either but I’d be leaning away from it actually being one... that’s a lot of mature feathering for a bird that’s supposed to be black with iridescence... looks like a sex link to me.
It's tail feathers and others in random locations have turned black.

It's tail feathers and others in random locations have turned black.
Yes, I saw in his hackles too. He’s gorgeous, I just don’t necessarily think he’s what he’s supposed to be. :)
I was just reading a couple of the hatchery descriptions, they’re supposed to have greenish gray legs too. I didn’t see anywhere that they’re supposed to be barred in any way, they’ve got langshan in their background which explains the iridescent black feathers, but I guess because they’re actually a hybrid they could turn out looking like pretty well anything. :)

With it being as young as it is, I highly doubt that it’s a crowing hen. They’re not as common as some would lead you to believe. :)

Back
Top Bottom