Rooster or hen?

hidezchick

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
Hi, I'm a newbie to raising backyard chickens. I got my first flock last month. Does anyone have any guesses on the sex of this red wyandotte? I think it might be a rooster but I have zero experience since this is my first time raising chicks. He's a little bossy and has challenged some of the other chicks in my flock. He also has a little bit of a different looking tail that is shaped like an upright fan but I don't know if that's just the breed. He's almost 6 weeks old. I know that's early but curious what others think. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.57.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.59.38 AM.png

Hi, I'm a newbie to raising backyard chickens. I got my first flock last month. Does anyone have any guesses on the sex of this red wyandotte? I think it might be a rooster but I have zero experience since this is my first time raising chicks. He's a little bossy and has challenged some of the other chicks in my flock. He also has a little bit of a different looking tail that is shaped like an upright fan but I don't know if that's just the breed. He's almost 6 weeks old. I know that's early but curious what others think. Thanks!

View attachment 2776573 View attachment 2776574
Welcome to BYC and to chickens!

This is not a Wyandotte, but a gold laced Polish. It is still too young to sex. Post updated pics in 2 weeks, showing his comb. With Polish, sometimes you have to push their crest back and snap a pic.

Welcome to BYC and to chickens!

This is not a Wyandotte, but a gold laced Polish. It is still too young to sex. Post updated pics in 2 weeks, showing his comb. With Polish, sometimes you have to push their crest back and snap a pic.
Hello! Thanks for the reply! I was actually skeptical that this was a wyandotte but that's what the seller told me. I also have another chick that was supposed to be a Japanese bantam but looks like a polish as well. Seems like they got them all mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom