Rooster or Hen?

crittersitter

Songster
13 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Westchester County,NY
I have heard lots of eggsongs from this 20 week old, never anything roosterish but today he/she grabbed my 1.5 year old BO by the back of the neck and pinned her down and my BO squatted. Now I am wondering if she's really a hen????
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313819_10150293821158173_672118172_8062954_1978637787_n.jpg

I
hope the picture showed up.....It's the RIR on the far right that I am questioning....

I don't really know the RIR breed but....we have a 20 week old Brahma that we just discovered today was a rooster. First time we heard him crow. It was quite a surprise. He would occasionally mount a hen before this, but I thought he was just trying to move up in the pecking order! He was also very aggressive as a chick.

Oh Crap! I can't have a rooster. This picture is from 2 weeks ago. I was so surprised to see this behavior......especially since I haven't heard any crowing. I'm still hoping someone will put me at ease and tell me it's a horny hen.

Congratulations...it's a ROOster! I know the feeling...I have a large flock & my son has been culling the roos. I thought we were about done, but after looking closely, I realized I still have 4 Purebred roo's and a couple of mutts (at least!). So much for buying pullets only!!

Back
Top Bottom