Rooster or Hen?

Im Barred up

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
New Brunswick
I went to a local farm back at the end of March and got 6 straight run Barred Rock chicks (which turned out to be 4 hens and 2 roosters....easy to tell). The lady I got them from also threw in a single Americauna "just in case one dies" chick. She also guranteed me the the Americauna would be a hen as for some reason her stud only seemed to create female eggs/chicks.
Well, for her guranteeing that the Americauana to be a hen, I think that she's wrong. She crows the loudest, and picks fights with my 2 Barred boys, but at the same time she has no comb or thing under her neck like my other Roosters. If I had other Americauana chickens I could probably tell, but as for a google search....well there's a thousand chickens that are called hens and roosters both with similarities to mine. That's when I came to the chicken expert place! What do you think?

yes, strange indeed, that would be something, if you could breed rooster that only breed female chicks.

if you could do such a thing, then you couldn't do such a thing, because you would only be getting hens

Cool! I never knew that the hen determined the sex....I figured where she only had one Rooster, that for some reason weird reason he only created female babies. Well now I think I'm going to have to find a home for him :( He's at the bottom of the pecking order and tries to fight everyone all the time. Even the hens will stand up to him and put him in his place. My 2 Barred Roo's seem to be the best of friends and heard the hens where they want them. Maybe they wont be friends once the breeding begins, but one thing is for sure, if the Americauana is being picked on now, when he tries to jump one of the Barred boys hens I think there'll be war!

yes, strange indeed, that would be something, if you could breed rooster that only breed female chicks.

if you could do such a thing, then you couldn't do such a thing, because you would only be getting hens
yuckyuck.gif

Folks sure come up with some funny ideas, don't they?

You have a rooster. The easter eggers have smaller combs called pea combs, that's why it's not as impressive as your barred rock's huge ol straight combs. And they usually don't have much in the way of wattles. But that color is all boy, and you can see the hackle and saddle feathers coming in clearly. He was nice enough to "lace" them for you to be seen easily!

They are on the back near the tail. His saddle feathers are the black pointy feathers outlined with tan color.

Back
Top Bottom