Rooster or hen?

Quote by Pyrex:

Likely a rooster, but could be a hen as well. I have a six-month old hen that looks absolutely identical to that one, I swear, it's almost literally a clone of your bird. I used to think she was a rooster too at around 3 months. This breed might be a bit confusing.

Speaking of which, I don't want to go too off topic, but what breed is that?

---------------------------------

Yeah, he/she is a barred rock, this is its dad.... Oh by the way which I thought was a hen but then turned out to be a rooster which I kept for breeding.

That's being a large issue with my 19 6-month old birds, I'm still uncertain about the gender of some. Some are very pretty, hopefully they are males that can keep the lineage going :)

And really nice hen, what's her age?

She was about 6 months when the picture was taken, and is now 9 months old, and lays a beautiful blue egg.

Very beautiful breed and bird. I once had a rooster which was probably of that breed, a sibling of my current 7-year old one, but he wasn't as robust as that.

Anyway, your bird is quite definitely a rooster, his wattles are redder and larger than those of my 6-month old hen of the same breed:

Woah... Is that it's naturral beak? I've never seen a beak that big before. Thank you anyways, I do have some more questions though. Would it be alright if I were to kept him for breeding too? Or would that be a problem because I already have a rooster? I've heard that your only supposed to have 1 rooster per 10 hens, I have 16 hens now, will that be enough?

Last edited:
Her beak isn't that big, it's the photography, had it been shot differently then it would probably look more like in real life. I do have a chicken with a very long beak, though.

Anyway, I would suggest separating the two roosters if you want to keep him for breeding. I think it is a good idea to keep a second rooster of that breed for breeding purposes.

Pyrex- Oh ok I see, sorry.
1f601.png
That's a good idea, if I did not separate them what do you think they'll do? I mean I don't think they would get into fights since the little one grew up with the big one, and one of my friends has 4 roosters that she got at differnt time periods and they run together all the time and she doesn't have any problems. Well I mean she has about 30 hens.

BonRae67- Yes he is a barred rock. :)

Last edited:
As a 3-month old chicken, the rooster will not fight with him, but it is possible that he'll peck him. If you keep them together, it would be good to keep an eye on them. They might start fighting when the little one gets larger (6 months or so, I think), but if your rooster doesn't peck him, then it's probably safe. But still, keep an eye on them if you keep them together. Good luck
smile.png

Pyrex- Oh ok I see, sorry.
1f601.png
That's a good idea, if I did not separate them what do you think they'll do? I mean I don't think they would get into fights since the little one grew up with the big one, and one of my friends has 4 roosters that she got at differnt time periods and they run together all the time and she doesn't have any problems. Well I mean she has about 30 hens.

BonRae67- Yes he is a barred rock. :)
Thank you. I am new at some of the breeds, so I am trying to sneak in a breed question and answer thing to see if I am correct. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom