Rooster or no rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenkate, Mar 24, 2009.

1. chickenkate

chickenkate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    I WANT to hatch chicks, but I DON'T WANT overmated hens, a lot of noise, or an aggressive bird. What do YOU recommend?!? I REALLY need help, because I have to get chicks soon!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    If you want to hatch eggs...you pretty much have to have a rooster or buy your eggs from someone...[​IMG]

If you are asking for what kind of rooster...then...what ever kind you think is pretty or matches your hens! All have good and bad to them. To keep the annoyance of hens to a minimum...keep your hen to rooster ration high

3. chickenkate

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    Is it better to buy hatching eggs, or to have a rooster?

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Alot depends on what you plan to do. Are you wanting more chickens to sell eggs or are you looking to replace what you have already? How many chickens do you have now? Are you looking at a certain breed or just a mix. Are you even allowed to have a rooster where you are located? That might be want you need to find out first for it can settle the whole should I have a rooster or not question. Know this even if you hatch chicks you will get roos, sometimes all roos sometimes half and sometimes less. Buying eggs is faster then getting a roo but many do not make it thru shipping and stay viable. I would think just buying chicks would be the best thing all around if you need them fast.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Get a bantam rooster

6. chickenkate

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    why? can they mate w/ regular sized hens

7. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    we don't intend to breed, so we don't have a rooster. the girls lay around scratching all day and taking dust baths. no rooster plucking their feathers out or mating them constantly. it's like some sapphic paradise back there in the hen den. if you plan to free range your birds a rooster comes in handy for a certain degree of extra protection.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Too bad you don't live near me. I have two EE roo's that need a home ASAP.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I have a bantam ee rooster with my big girls and its hit or miss [​IMG]
    But they never have bare backs.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are you going to free-range. I do, but I wouldn't if I didn't have a very protective rooster.
    Besides, he adds a whole 'nother dimension to the flock dynamics. My girls backs are none the worse for wear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by