Rooster or no rooster?

chickenkate

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
East coast
I WANT to hatch chicks, but I DON'T WANT overmated hens, a lot of noise, or an aggressive bird. What do YOU recommend?!? I REALLY need help, because I have to get chicks soon!

If you want to hatch eggs...you pretty much have to have a rooster or buy your eggs from someone...
wink.png

If you are asking for what kind of rooster...then...what ever kind you think is pretty or matches your hens! All have good and bad to them. To keep the annoyance of hens to a minimum...keep your hen to rooster ration high

Alot depends on what you plan to do. Are you wanting more chickens to sell eggs or are you looking to replace what you have already? How many chickens do you have now? Are you looking at a certain breed or just a mix. Are you even allowed to have a rooster where you are located? That might be want you need to find out first for it can settle the whole should I have a rooster or not question. Know this even if you hatch chicks you will get roos, sometimes all roos sometimes half and sometimes less. Buying eggs is faster then getting a roo but many do not make it thru shipping and stay viable. I would think just buying chicks would be the best thing all around if you need them fast.

we don't intend to breed, so we don't have a rooster. the girls lay around scratching all day and taking dust baths. no rooster plucking their feathers out or mating them constantly. it's like some sapphic paradise back there in the hen den. if you plan to free range your birds a rooster comes in handy for a certain degree of extra protection.

Are you going to free-range. I do, but I wouldn't if I didn't have a very protective rooster.
Besides, he adds a whole 'nother dimension to the flock dynamics. My girls backs are none the worse for wear.

Back
Top Bottom