Rooster pecking chicks in coop so he's sleeping in the open coop area. Is this okay?

Milmomto3

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Eastern North Carolina
My barred rock rooster, 7 months old, has pecked the new babies (1 week old) pretty hard a couple times. He only does it at night when they are in the enclosed coop for the night. The mama hen and babies stay in the raised enclosed part as she chose that place to stay for the nesting box. He sits on the roost and if the babies walk around or make too much noise, he pecks them. I have put him into the open enclosed area. It's going to be 43 degrees tonight. It's that too cold for him? I don't know what else to do. We've worked hard to get the coop box insulated and heated. I'm afraid if I put him in, he'll attack them during the night if they come out from mama. He was in there last night with no problems. This is his 2nd offense this week. He doesn't bother them during the day and he's a very sweet rooster, I can pet him.

Attachments

• 20231015_192547.jpg
    20231015_192547.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231015_192446.jpg
    20231015_192446.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231015_192415.jpg
    20231015_192415.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231015_192503.jpg
    20231015_192503.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231015_192437.jpg
    20231015_192437.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 14
We have this on the other side to vent it out. I clean the inside of the enclosured area each couple days and leave the main door open...I just ain't leaving it fully open now because we have (11) one week old chicks that need to be warm at night. During the day, the hatch door is open. Is this sufficient?

Attachments

• 20231016_073008.jpg
    20231016_073008.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231016_073317.jpg
    20231016_073317.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231016_073353.jpg
    20231016_073353.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 9
We have this on the other side to vent it out. I clean the inside of the enclosured area each couple days and leave the main door open...I just ain't leaving it fully open now because we have (11) one week old chicks that need to be warm at night. During the day, the hatch door is open. Is this sufficient?
No, it is not enough.
Mama should be able to keep the chicks warm.

What is that pvc pipe structure?
Coop seems a bit small for 13 birds(11 chicks and hen and cockbird)...or are there more birds in your flock?
Maybe you plan on getting rid of the male chicks?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1697460624962.png

I fixed it, I'm in Eastern North Carolina. The PVC pipe structure is a roosting bar, shaped like a box. The bottom part is covered up with bedding to keep the poop off. That's what they roost on. I'm aware the coop isn't big enough for 16 birds, we're keeping Roo, it was built for 5 birds initially in the spring. We're going to expand it when the chick's are a little bigger, but they are free range birds and the coop stays open all day for them to access nesting boxes, food, etc. They normally only come in at night to stay, we lock it for their protection. But they free range ALL DAY till dark.

I fixed it, I'm in Eastern North Carolina. The PVC pipe structure is a roosting bar, shaped like a box. The bottom part is covered up with bedding to keep the poop off. That's what they roost on. I'm aware the coop isn't big enough for 16 birds, we're keeping Roo, it was built for 5 birds initially in the spring. We're going to expand it when the chick's are a little bigger, but they are free range birds and the coop stays open all day for them to access nesting boxes, food, etc. They normally only come in at night to stay, we lock it for their protection. But they free range ALL DAY till dark.
Pipe rather small for full grown birds.
Looks to be 1/2" to 1" diameter?
Should be at least 1.5" diameter.

Even tho they are outside all day, ventilation is important when they are inside at night breathing and pooping.

I'd cut a 6" strip out from one side to the other. Ventilation is very, very important. Mamma will keep them warm, the coop itself isn't supposed to be warm

Like others have said, if the chicks are being raised by a hen, they don't need supplemental heat. They should be staying tucked under her all night. They may be noisy and getting out from under her at night because they are too hot.

Ventilation is also important for preventing frostbite. Frostbite happens when it's cold and wet. Moisture builds up in an enclosed coop from the birds breathing and from their feces. You want to create a coop that allows for air flow (air coming in and going out) but protects the birds from being blown by wind. They are hardy if given the chance to acclimate so I wouldn't worry about heating the coop. They can handle the cold. They have a harder time handling the ammonia and moisture.

Thank you for the feedback. We're going to add ventilation and my husband is going to change the pvc pipe size to 1.5 inches as suggested. Thank you all for the feedback! These are the first birds we've had that don't want to roost during the day or up high at night. The rooster is the only one that has. We'll be expanding and ventilating it. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom