Rooster pens

im planning for breeding males as well, so i apologize if its normal / answered already... but why not bundle them? or is your breed more single males? Also, some animals will breed and change, would that be why?
Well, looking at just the young ones from this year, they were fighting really bad. Yes the young hens are right next to them. Something I can't change. They were supposed to go to show (didn't happen because of Covid) but coulnd't have because their combs were damaged.
But I will also keep older roosters. Putting the new roosters with the older ones is not a good idea. Or putting them back in one group after the breeding season... they will fight. Maybe even kill each other.
A promising rooster can be kept back in development when the others keep him from the feed.
I understand why you are wondering. Believe me, I was wondering that as well. I saw it with other breeders and just could not understand why you would do that. Now that I have been breeding myself, I totally understand. These pens help give the hens a break when breeding season is over. I can use them for breeding one rooster with one hen. I know the exact parentage.
When you keep 3 or 4 breeding groups you need to be able to separate.
I hope I explained it well enough. :)

i totally get it! i figured that was it, but wanted to make sure.

we used to do the same sort of thing for rodents. they are good until about 6ish months then the boys are separate, and as Soon as they breed they go in a singleton home. Im just, enjoying planning to wanted to make sure!

Also, my babies came in today. YEAH!! But im noticing just how much they want to be with each other. does the minimal interaction between the grating give the roosters enough to feel together without hurting anyone? (does this make sense? Im running on fumes and dont always make sense.)

i totally get it! i figured that was it, but wanted to make sure.

we used to do the same sort of thing for rodents. they are good until about 6ish months then the boys are separate, and as Soon as they breed they go in a singleton home. Im just, enjoying planning to wanted to make sure!

Also, my babies came in today. YEAH!! But im noticing just how much they want to be with each other. does the minimal interaction between the grating give the roosters enough to feel together without hurting anyone? (does this make sense? Im running on fumes and dont always make sense.)
They are fine. They still hear and see them. There are hens in the other run across the fence. I will see if I need to put up a blind between the pens. After the breeding season there will be the little roosters running around in the run outside the pen. They should not feel alone. It is also just for a short time... they will either end up as soup or come November back with some hens.

Back
Top Bottom