Rooster picking on one hen

abosman

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
Hello! Recently, our cockerel has begun to pick on one of our pullets. They’re both around 4-5 months. The pullet that he’s been picking on does lay eggs, and i would assume that he’s attempting to mate with her, except when she squats as if she were ready to mate, he continues to pick on her and not get on top of her. He never plucks any feathers or draws blood, but is this okay? Is he just learning to mate? Our chickens have plenty of room(their run is 16ftx20ft and they get full access to our entire yard during the day.

I'd remove him from the flock and let him cool his heels for a couple of weeks. If upon reintroduction he maintains the same behavior, he'd be invited to dinner. No need for roosters that abuse their hens.

I'd remove him from the flock and let him cool his heels for a couple of weeks. If upon reintroduction he maintains the same behavior, he'd be invited to dinner. No need for roosters that abuse their hens.
thank you! I’m really hoping he calms down after we remove him, he’s a really great roo, just not as good to his ladies. :(

Back
Top Bottom