Rooster plucked bare by a Possum attack

Sonya9

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Last night a possum attacked my year old Salmon Faverolle rooster a few minutes after dark. apparently there was a knock down drag out battle in the hen house and then all around the run.

His back and rear end has been plucked completely bare. His eyes, beak and limbs seem to be okay other than a limp however he is a very nervous/shy boy that does NOT want me to handle him. I put him in a plastic dog carrier and kept him inside last night with a heater.

What do I do with a plucked bird? He is NOT happy and I want him to strart eating and feel more comfortable. Should I create a separate pen for him and put him outside during the warmer part of the day? I also have Mareks in the flock so have to minimize his stress as much as possible, got him to eat a little egg with meds that should ward off Mareks but he doesn't want to eat today.

This boy is my hero today because he battled that huge possum and if the critter had gone after any other bird in the henhouse they wouldn't have stood a chance (the others are OEG bantams, a fragile old hen and some 6 week old chicks).

I just had a hen attacked (with her 4 chicks) she was plucked (no tail feathers or back feathers left and slashed on her back. My rooster saved her and 3 of her chicks. His legs took a beating and lost some tail feathers. I chose not to stress him out and left him w/ the girls. I tended to him on roost each night for 3 nights. He's much better and on the mend. My hen is healing, but her wounds were deep and large so she's going to be separated by crate in the coop with her chicks for a couple more weeks.
I immediately started grower feed 20% protein and put nutridrench in the flock water for a few days in addition to their everyday supplements. I used Vetericyn, Nu-stock and blue kote for him. I don't think your hens/chicks will bother him and if he doesn't have open wounds I'd leave him with the girls.

Heck we've had 3 trail cams out there since our attack and not one useful pic yet. We do have lots pics of my rooster being a busy boy running and running. lol. My hubby says he's going to drop dead because of all those broads :lol:

I just had a hen attacked (with her 4 chicks) she was plucked (no tail feathers or back feathers left and slashed on her back. My rooster saved her and 3 of her chicks. His legs took a beating and lost some tail feathers. I chose not to stress him out and left him w/ the girls. I tended to him on roost each night for 3 nights. He's much better and on the mend. My hen is healing, but her wounds were deep and large so she's going to be separated by crate in the coop with her chicks for a couple more weeks.
I immediately started grower feed 20% protein and put nutridrench in the flock water for a few days in addition to their everyday supplements. I used Vetericyn, Nu-stock and blue kote for him. I don't think your hens/chicks will bother him and if he doesn't have open wounds I'd leave him with the girls.
Thank you. Do I have to worry about sunburn? He lives in the rooster pen with 3 bantams so I penned off a 6x7 foot area just for him.

He seems much happier since he is outside but he looks rough and just sort of stands there then occasionally makes sad rooster sounds. He is a very flighty fearful bird so I really don't want to stress him more by messing with him.

Pic of him now and before the attack. I feel horrible about this.

Attachments

• injured rooster 1.jpg
    injured rooster 1.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 14
  • injured rooster 2.jpg
    injured rooster 2.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 14
I hope that you got rid of that possum, because he most likely will be back.
Their pen has 6' high welded wire fencing and avian net over the top (to keep the bantams in). I think the possum may have come in over the door where the netting is loose and will see if that is the problem.

And I know it will be back, I saw it one other time eating out of the chicken feeder. Guess last night it decided to pass by the full feeder and kill a chicken when I was a few minutes late locking up the henhouse.

Poor guy... I'd spray some blukote 1st so he has some microbial barrier.
I use Sunbum 50 sunblock on my chickens (when needed). I have a hen who will not wear a saddle and is my roo's favorite even though he has 18 others to choose from. She's always bare backed and does get sunburnt:(
Does he have shade he can stand under?

Poor guy... I'd spray some blukote 1st so he has some microbial barrier.
I use Sunbum 50 sunblock on my chickens (when needed). I have a hen who will not wear a saddle and is my roo's favorite even though he has 18 others to choose from. She's always bare backed and does get sunburnt:(
Does he have shade he can stand under?
Good idea on the blue coat. That may help prevent sunburn too. Yeah half his pen has shade though he seemed to prefer the sunny side (because the hens were on that side in the other pen).

Just have to get him to start eating. He took a couple of mouthfulls of medicated food last night but nothing today. Gonna scramble up some egg.

My hen was in shock obviously and she wouldn't eat. I gave her nutridrench in water that evening and there was scratch and chick starter in there. The next morning I brought her some canned dog food, cottage cheese and some ground spinach. She couldn't resist. Everyday since she's had either chicken or eggs for the extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom