Rooster plucking chest feathers

Pitbull lover

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
I noticed my rooster is plucking his chest feathers out it started when my hen went broody and was laying on eggs he's missing a patch of feathers on his chest. I'm not sure if he was helping or something else. It worries me because he's never done this and he's 4 years old.

I've had roosters that would help hens by sitting on the eggs while the hens did their daily duty. But I've never heard of one pulling out his chest feathers like a broody. He might be transforming his gender!
:eek::gig:lau

I noticed my rooster is plucking his chest feathers out it started when my hen went broody and was laying on eggs he's missing a patch of feathers on his chest. I'm not sure if he was helping or something else. It worries me because he's never done this and he's 4 years old.
Is he hanging out with her, assuming she's still broody?
Might he have bugs...or be molting(and he's trying to preen new feathers coming in)?

Look for bugs or molting. Her brooding doesn't have anything to do with this if she's in a different area. I would consider that only if they were a closely bonded pair, and she was brooding in his area, and he was seen staying close by.

None of my attentive and loving roosters have ever helped with "hen work." They simply keep foot traffic away from the hen, and get on with business with the rest of the flock.

LofMc

Look for bugs or molting. Her brooding doesn't have anything to do with this if she's in a different area. I would consider that only if they were a closely bonded pair, and she was brooding in his area, and he was seen staying close by.

None of my attentive and loving roosters have ever helped with "hen work." They simply keep foot traffic away from the hen, and get on with business with the rest of the flock.

LofMc
They slept in the same coop when she was laying on the eggs and always wanted to be near her.

Back
Top Bottom