Rooster poop problem - Pooping very frequently and messy behind.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shandiane78, Aug 11, 2010.

1. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Hi, I hope someone can help me figure out what's wrong with my cockerel. He's a little over 4 mos old. The past couple of days he's been pooping a lot more often, and it doesn't seem like a whole lot is coming out each time. It's like he's straining to go frequently, and only a little comes out. The poop looks normal and doesn't smell particularly foul. But he's getting awfully messy feathers back there. Any idea what might cause this? He seems to be acting pretty normal otherwise.

He has never been wormed. Is this something I should try?

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to see worms if he's got worms...If you know what i mean. I would get him something to make sure he isnt dehydrating...Vitamin /electrolyte supplement (its like gatorade powder) in his water would definitely help. Also Im curious to what your weather is like...its been well over 103 here for the past week. Heat is a big stress factor.

3. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    I'm pretty new to chickens but I thought I would add my 2cents here. My little barred rock did that a LOT and I was so worried about her. Someone told me to try the apple cider vinegar with the mother in their water and I swear, it cleared up overnight. She still had some runny poops for awhile, but at least she had enough energy (?) to poof it out past her bottom instead of just dripping down her feathers. Worth a try and it can't hurt. ACV is supposed to be really good for the birds, and I still use it 8 weeks later.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    gross as this may sound... do you have any pictures of the poop? that might help out. [​IMG]
    theres a great link for photos with poop... i refer to it often.. ill find it for you.
    good luck tho.

andrea- [​IMG]

5. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for your replies! I will try the ACV. Maybe some plain yogurt too. The poop looks completely normal, and I've gone through it (with a stick, lol [​IMG]) looking for worms and haven't seen anything.

Someone is buying him today. I told her about his poop issues, and she wants him anyway, so maybe I'll just clean up his bum and give her the suggestion for ACV. I do think it will help, because he's really not acting sick other than this.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by