Rooster Preference

Black Australorp (I’ve had them). They’re gorgeous and ‘generally’ docile. I say ‘generally’, because you might get an ornery one from time to time. That’s true of any individual of any breed though. Let us know what you choose. 🙂
Thank you I definitely will!

I’ve never had one so can’t speak to that but I’d like to try one eventually.
I only raise heritage stock Jersey Giants. My experience is that they are gentle giants. My males are very alert and protective of their hens. I've never had one aggressive toward people, it can happen of course but should be culled as that is not a breed trait. One of my males would starve himself if it came to it to make sure his ladies had plenty to eat. They are active breeders.

Still, I think choosing a rooster from the given breeds will depend on the OP's goals. What are you wanting out of a rooster? Are you planning to breed or just wanting a companion for your hens?

I only raise heritage stock Jersey Giants. My experience is that they are gentle giants. My males are very alert and protective of their hens. I've never had one aggressive toward people, it can happen of course but should be culled as that is not a breed trait. One of my males would starve himself if it came to it to make sure his ladies had plenty to eat. They are active breeders.

Still, I think choosing a rooster from the given breeds will depend on the OP's goals. What are you wanting out of a rooster? Are you planning to breed or just wanting a companion for your hens?
That’s awesome!!! And good points!

I am looking to start breeding as well as looking for something to protect my hens. We live in the country in MT and there’s always something looking for chickens. I understand there are plenty of animals that a rooster stands no chance against but, that’s kind of what I’m looking for 😊 thank you for the response.

We have 2 BLK AUS Roosters 8 wks apart in age and they are getting along just fine. One year old now and still gentle easy going. Unlike Galaxyrules, ours never shut up, crowing all day, crowing to greet you when you get out of the car, when you leave when you walk towards the coop and even in the dark of night. Not a problem for us as we enjoy the different "voices" and the neighbors are a quarter mile with their own roosters. First time with the BLK AUS and very happy with them, roos and the egg laying, six out of seven today on eggs.

What breeds of hens do you have? Are you breeding for your personal use or to sell?
Currently I have 6 Australorps and 1 Buckeye and I ordered 3 Blue & 3 Splash Ameraucana's coming this spring. I am not looking to sell any. Just looking for personal use and for family only.

We have 2 BLK AUS Roosters 8 wks apart in age and they are getting along just fine. One year old now and still gentle easy going. Unlike Galaxyrules, ours never shut up, crowing all day, crowing to greet you when you get out of the car, when you leave when you walk towards the coop and even in the dark of night. Not a problem for us as we enjoy the different "voices" and the neighbors are a quarter mile with their own roosters. First time with the BLK AUS and very happy with them, roos and the egg laying, six out of seven today on eggs.
haha not particularly looking for a super vocal guy but every one is different and wont know until I get one haha. Thank you for the input! :)

Back
Top Bottom