Rooster Question

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
At what age do roosters start loosing their potency? I have a roo that is about 3 and then a young roo that is not quite 1. These guys along with a barred banty cochin are with about 35 hens. I just incubated a bunch of my eggs and was suprised at how many didnt develope. Is my roo getting to old or are they slowing down since it is getting colder out. I have a couple more roos that I am going to keep but my main roo chased the others so much I just figured he was doing his job but now I am not so sure. Thanks Jenn.

Fertility can depend on age as well as feather fluff, and over all flock health. At 3 he's probably getting less fertile, but I would be 100% sure that the whole flock hens and all are wormed and in good health before I culled your old fella.
Could be he's bored too. Since we are limited to when we can hatch due to our winter temps. We house the males seperately and rotate them in weekly. That way the least favorite hens are mated as well as the Faves. You'll get better coverage that way than if he's just getting the same o same o day in and day out. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom