Rooster questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Mar 22, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    OK, I just got the bad news that my GLW chick is a cockerel. NOT what I was hoping for. I'll now have 7 hens and a roo.

My girls free range on occasion. My neighbors have a roo (who is kept in a run with his girls). My hens have never ventured over there, even though it's only about 200 feet from their house. If I let my rooster free range with his harem, is he going to go over there and bother the neighbors' roo? (The neighbors are 100% happy to let my hens visit their yard.)

I'm already thinking about building a "Rooster Wing" in my hen house--where I can separate Wiley if he gets too amorous. Would it be feasible to put him in there at night, and keep him away from the hens for a day or two at a time?? I don't want naked hens.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm really bummed out right now.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Dont worry too much about it. I was not supposed to have roosters...but the neighbors have been great. The best thing to do is be right to the point and tell them whats up. It will make it alot easier for you than to worry. Good luck [​IMG]

3. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I forgot to mention that the neighbors have two little girls, too. They'll be 1 and 4 this summer, so I'm concerned for them.

And will my hens still see me as top banana? Or will my authority be usurped? Right now, they come running when I call them. Will they ignore me if Wiley is with them?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Perhaps you should just wait & see what happens if you leave this roo with your hens. Meanwhile be working on your Plan B just in case you need to remove him from your yard.

I like having at least 1 roo in with my hens, and 1:7 ratio is a nice balance. He won't have too many to care for and they won't get too worn down from his *ahem* attentions.

Some roos are easier to get along with than others, and I hope yours is a gentleman. One that doesn't try to attack people walking through his yard or looking at his hens, one that won't fight to the blood with other roos. There may be some fussing & flapping with your neighbor's roo, even through the fence, but often I've found roos to come to an agreement over territory & don't try to fight afterwards.

Sadly, some roos don't mind their manners and make a real nuisance of themselves. That's why you should hope for the best but have a workable Plan B in place for this one. Whether you plan to sell, give away, or invite him to your dinner table, work out those details now so you can take quick action if & when needed.

I don't think having a separate pen just for a roo is one of the best ideas. He'll be upset & crow a lot & just want to get back to his hens. If his temperment wasn't good to begin with this will only make it worse.

You & your neighbor will need to take special precautions for the safety of their little girls. Even a mild-mannered old hen can inadvertantly injure a small child, especially if that child is left unattended around the chickens, even more so if the child is also eating a PBJ. You may prefer to keep your chickens (or the neighbor's girls) in their run, or out in a tractor, or free-ranging only with supervision.

I hope your roo turns out to be one of the Good Guys. Try to gain his favor now and help him learn to appreciate & trust you. I wish you & your flock great success.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would just wait and see. I do not believe he will go to the neighbors to bother their roo. Roos usually only come into competition over the hens, and if yours has 7 to run around with he will be too busy keeping up with them to worry about the neighbor's roo.

Roosters are funny, they all have their own personality. Some turn out "okay", some turn out "bad", and then some turn out "great." He may turn out to be a great rooster, and then you'll realize what you've been missing not having a rooster.

He should not usurp your authority. I have a great rooster, when I call everyone to lock up for the night, he is the first one at my feet and he calls the others and they come running as fast as they can. A good roo will also keep your girls safe, because a good roo is always on the lookout.

A seperate pen shouldn't be necessary. He'll stay with his ladies and be their constant guardian. If you absolutely do not want fertilized eggs then you will have to keep him seperated. (A friend of mine keeps his seperated because they don't eat fertilized eggs [​IMG] )

Just wait and see how he is. The worst thing that will happen is he turns out to be a little too aggressive and you will have to eat, or rehome him.

-Kim

6. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    It's not fertilized eggs that I object to. It's overly-fertilized hens [​IMG]

OK, I'll take a deep breath and try to be patient. Patience is not one of my virtues.

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    BTW.....my hens still see me as #1. One of my roosters gets jealous [​IMG] Its kinda funny.......the other is ok about it. I agree with the back up plan.....look for a farm that will take him if you decide its best. I had one that was beginning to intimidate me a while bakc.....so i had a guy ready and when i decided i had enough.....he picked him up. The rooster i have now is sweet. I think its good to have a plan, but then just wait to see how it goes.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    After having so many mannerly roosters I will never again tolerate keeping one that isn't. It's an awful feeling to have to worry about getting spurred by a roo each time you cross the yard. I'd hear the shark's theme from "Jaws" in my mind just going out to dump something in the compost pile.

If this roo won't behave invite him in for dinner & go find yourself a more polite one!

9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL........i have a silkie rooster that tries to intimidate me.......but if i look his way, he stops. He only charges my way if i turn my back to him. Its actually funny.......I dont have any kids, so i keep him because he crows so terrible that it cracks me up everytime. A standard rooster would scare me doing this, but not a silkie......bring it on!!!!!!

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Just make sure he knows who is top boss. Then wait and see and have plan B for backup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by