Rooster questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Le Mitzer, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    Ok so im not going to ask is there a rooster that doesn't crow. But are there any ones out there that are known to crow a bit less and a bit quiter? I have been reading bantams are a bit more quite? I REALLY want to get one. I live in an industrial zone. So upsetting everyone around me is not a problem. And I start work at 5 in the morning anyway! BUT my wife does not. Soooooooooo you know what they say an unhappy wife = unhappy life [​IMG]. So I would like to keep her smiling.
    And I'm not against making a bit of Coq au vin if he gets to annoying.
    I have two sex lines, and a Sussex right now. I want to add two or three more chickens and a rooster. Any suggestions? I would like a variety, each one a different breed. And I would but great if one of my chickens gave me a white egg.

2. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but if you are not against minis you could try a Serama. They are one of the smallest if not the smallest chickens in the world with some of the smaller hens weighing in at 6 oz. The roo's crow matches their size. Try this link to learn more about them: http://seramaclubofamerica.webs.com/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. I had a sebright bantam rooster once. I heard him crow 3 times in his entire life, all in one day. I had him for a good year or so before tha raccoon got him [​IMG] sebrights are good showy breeds, but darn they're fast.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by