rooster questions.

friedchickenman

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
should i keep my 2 roosters? i heard there no good unless your gunna breed them with hens.

also do eggs taste better when there is a rooster around or when fertilized?

Last edited:
What are your goals for your flock? How many hens do you have? Are they being over-bred? How old are the roosters? How do they get along with one another? How are they toward people? These are all questions you need to ask yourself in making your decision. And you are the only one who can make that decision. Roosters can be good, if you have a free-ranging flock, at warning the hens if there is a predator around. If you don't have a rooster, a hen will often take on that role. Roosters will, at times, find goodies for the hens. Hens are also capable at finding goodies for themselves. There is no difference in taste between fertilized and unfertilized eggs.

I kept my rooster because I enjoy watching his interaction with the hens. Guarding, call them for food, dancing with them, making sure they all get in at night. He has nine hens, so none is over-mated. I know he does not lay eggs, but seeing how this flock behaves in more of a natural fashion is intriguing.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom