Rooster Ran Off- Please Learn From My Mistake!

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
Well, I made a big mistake, I went shopping with my parents and my siblings let the chickens in for the night. The young chickens this year freaked out and the three took an entire hour to get into the coop. These new chickens are a bit feral, most likely because I allowed a flighty panicky Sebright raise them. Sebrights, if you look at the wrong will basically refuse to eat for the entire day. So anyway one of her 3 roo babies, about 5-6 months old, ran into the woods and never came out. My siblings looked for him but it was useless, he has jungle fowl in his blood and no furless ape is gonna climb up a tree and become magically fast enough to capture him. Hopefully, he will survive, the only predator that I have seen in the ENTIRE year is two fat raccoons and they learned their lesson immediately when I slammed a metal pool in front of their face. Also, my chickens never liked my siblings so I should have expected this.

So what to learn from my mistake. Be careful with who you choose to let your chickens in for the night. Let them adjust and let the chickens in with the person for a few days before leaving them to themself. Like if you are going on vacation and are leaving the chickens caring to a pet sitter or family member. Let the chickens adjust.

Well, I made a big mistake, I went shopping with my parents and my siblings let the chickens in for the night. The young chickens this year freaked out and the three took an entire hour to get into the coop. These new chickens are a bit feral, most likely because I allowed a flighty panicky Sebright raise them. Sebrights, if you look at the wrong will basically refuse to eat for the entire day. So anyway one of her 3 roo babies, about 5-6 months old, ran into the woods and never came out. My siblings looked for him but it was useless, he has jungle fowl in his blood and no furless ape is gonna climb up a tree and become magically fast enough to capture him. Hopefully, he will survive, the only predator that I have seen in the ENTIRE year is two fat raccoons and they learned their lesson immediately when I slammed a metal pool in front of their face. Also, my chickens never liked my siblings so I should have expected this.

So what to learn from my mistake. Be careful with who you choose to let your chickens in for the night. Let them adjust and let the chickens in with the person for a few days before leaving them to themself. Like if you are going on vacation and are leaving the chickens caring to a pet sitter or family member. Let the chickens adjust.
I’m sooo sorry!!!! I really hope he comes back. Thank you for sharing!

I remember that my sister tried taking care of my SDOEGs one night. Lacy, who was one of them, flew up about 30 ft into an oak tree. Took us awhile, but we eventually got her down.

Oh, if you @DogAndCat36 don't mind me asking, what's the name of the rooster in your avvy? It looks like one of my SDOEG bantam roosters that I re-homed this summer. His name was Lester. He was re-homed with four other hens named Lacy, Lucy, Libby, and Lolly.

I remember that my sister tried taking care of my SDOEGs one night. Lacy, who was one of them, flew up about 30 ft into an oak tree. Took us awhile, but we eventually got her down.

Oh, if you @DogAndCat36 don't mind me asking, what's the name of the rooster in your avvy? It looks like one of my SDOEG bantam roosters that I re-homed this summer. His name was Lester. He was re-homed with four other hens named Lacy, Lucy, Libby, and Lolly.
His name is Falcon and he is my favorite chicken. His son ran into the woods.

His name is Falcon and he is my favorite chicken. His son ran into the woods.
I hope that you are able to find his son! I'm better understanding at what he's probably like now. :hugs Personly, I think that the bantam games have a better chance of survival than any standard. So hopefully the little guy will be ok. Did you check to see if he snuck back to roost and you didn't notice? They're very intelligent birds with excellent memory. :)

Thanks for sharing, it'll help others for sure! I hope your bird comes back, you never know!

Maybe some day, some how, he might come back home. I hope 😥
tenor (1).gif

Back
Top Bottom