Pics
Quick update on Henry. If I don't keep these updates going, I lose track of time and I don't always notice progress.

- Henry's toes are spreading wider apart on the recovering right leg. Because I study him daily I'm not seeing the minute details in his healing, so I'll post another video soon to get your eyeballs involved and tell me what you're seeing.

- I'd have to compare photos at this point, or videos, to distinguish any reduction in the swelling in his ankle joint. But it must be going down and freeing up his foot to allow the toes to spread open. They're not as wide apart as they are on his other foot, but I just noticed this two days ago and I'm pretty impressed with the boy.

- Does this stretching apart of his toes when he takes steps indicate muscle control? It's not an involuntary movement enabled by the reduction in swelling, right?

- Henry spends the entire day outside with his hens in the chicken run. When I go into town I stuff the hens in their house and am now doing the same with Henry, since he gets in line behind the last hen and chirps and dances and looks rather frantic without them.

- When I came home I found Henry under the roosts in the pooper zone. Once again I'm having to rethink the roosting setup to accommodate him. It's a small coop, so once I figure out the best placement for the nesting boxes and feed station and redo the roosts, I'll make Henry a roosting box to keep him from hobbling under the roosts again — or I'll give in and make a dastardly poop board so he can safely wander under there.

- If I put the nesting boxes under the roosts, wouldn't he be tempted to sleep in them? Should I even worry about that at this point? I started a discussion on poop boards and thought I had it all figured out, until Henry barely escaped getting plopped on by five hens.

- This isn't a quick update. I thought I should mention that.

- And Emma the Alien Creature Chicken, who's finishing up a beak to tail feather molt — no one told me the tail feathers fall out in a molt; boy was she looking like a fraction of her former self when she lost them — well, she caught herself a live mouse this morning and killed it good. Rodents are disease ridden critters, so I'm not keen on the idea of eating eggs that have been nourished by raw mouse meat. A handful of cilantro was enough to bribe her to remove her beak from the mouse and step away just long enough for me to grab the thing and dispose of it away from the chicken monsters.

- I love cats. But if chickens are this good at catching mice, I'm starting to wonder if cute is enough justification to keep adding cats to the cat population around here. Don't tell my husband I just said that. He'll throw his arms up in victory.

- Speaking of cats, Jasper, one of my several black cats, demonstrated for me how easy it is to climb a tree, jump onto the chicken coop roof, do a barrel roll into the tarp overhang (thereby shredding the tarp I just bought a few weeks ago), and crash into the uncovered chicken yard.

- Great.

- And an oak full of deadwood overhead is making things all the worser for me and my chicken management challenges.

- But Henry is on the mend. I just need to figure out how to get that darn tree cleaned up because the threat of falling deadwood is very real and it's keeping me up at night.

That's all, folks. Thank you once again for tolerating my numerous updates.

Last edited:
Quick update on Henry. If I don't keep these updates going, I lose track of time and I don't always notice progress.

- Henry's toes are spreading wider apart on the recovering right leg. Because I study him daily I'm not seeing the minute details in his healing, so I'll post another video soon to get your eyeballs involved and tell me what you're seeing.
- I'd have to compare photos at this point, or videos, to distinguish any reduction in the swelling in his ankle joint. But it must be going down and freeing up his foot to allow the toes to spared open. They're not as wide apart as they are on his other foot, but I just noticed this two days ago and I'm pretty impressed with the boy.

- Does this stretching apart of his toes when he takes steps indicate muscle control? It's not an involuntary movement enabled by the reduction in swelling, right?

- Henry spends the entire day outside with his hens in the chicken run. When I go into town I stuff the hens in their house and am now doing the same with Henry, since he gets in line behind the last hen and chirps and dances and looks rather frantic without them.

- When I came home I found Henry under the roosts in the pooper zone. Once again I'm having to rethink the roosting setup to accommodate him. It's a small coop, so once I figure out the best placement for the nesting boxes and feed station and redo the roosts, I'll make Henry a roosting box to keep him from hobbling under the roosts again — or I'll give in and make a dastardly poop board so he can safely wander under there.

- If I put the nesting boxes under the roosts, wouldn't he be tempted to sleep in them? Should I even worry about that at this point? I started a discussion on poop boards and thought I had it all figured out, until Henry barely escaped getting plopped on by five hens.

- This isn't a quick update. I thought I should mention that.

- And Emma the Alien Creature Chicken, who's finishing up a beak to tail feather molt — no one told me the tail feathers fall out in a molt; boy was she looking like a fraction of her former self when she lost them — well, she caught herself a live mouse this morning and killed it good. Rodents are disease ridden critters, so I'm not keen on the idea of eating eggs that have been nourished by raw mouse meat. A handful of cilantro was enough to bribe her to remove her beak from the mouse and step away just long enough for me to grab the thing and dispose of it away from the chicken monsters.

- I love cats. But if chickens are this good at catching mice, I'm starting to wonder if cute is enough justification to keep adding cats to the cat population around here. Don't tell my husband I just said that. He'll throw his arms up in victory.

- Speaking of cats, Jasper, one of my several black cats, demonstrated for me how easy it is to climb a tree, jump onto the chicken coop roof, do a barrel roll into the tarp overhang (thereby shredding the tarp I just bought a few weeks ago), and crash into the uncovered chicken yard.

- Great.

- And an oak full of deadwood overhead is making things all the worser for me and my chicken management challenges.

- But Henry is on the mend. I just need to figure out how to get that darn tree cleaned up because the threat of falling deadwood is very real and it's keeping me up at night.

That's all, folks. Thank you once again for tolerating my numerous updates.
Absolutely this is muscle control/ activity. This is the next step in what I was seeing in the last video with toe/foot muscle firing during the scratching.

A really quick update to the not so quick update:

A wonderful arborist gave me a quote I couldn't refuse on trimming out the deadwood from the oak tree in the chicken run. His team does fantastic work and tackled some of our huge oaks earlier this year that are a couple hundred years old.

He also offered payments to help me make this happen. When you suffer from anxiety you literally lose hours of sleep at night obsessively worrying about things like Henry getting hurt by falling branches from a tree packed full of deadwood.

And everything they remove will be turned into more firewood to add to our stash. We only heat with wood, so we're happy to round out our stash for the season.

Now for a cup of sleepy tea and a good book and some early shut eye.

G'night, folks.

Henry is now moving his right leg with even more control and an interesting and rather wild swing through the air. The toes are even wider apart when he walks, and the knee is open more instead of being locked down hard and unable to straighten.

And today he mounted one of the hens. It was incredibly awkward and longer than usual for the poor hen, but this is the first time Henry tried to make more Henries since he was attacked, so it was also pretty incredible.

He also runs all over the yard now whenever I try to catch him. I have to use a bath towel to put over his back and wings to calm him and make it easier to pick him up.

Tomorrow Henry will spend the night in the coop, where he belongs. He doesn't follow the hens toward the coop when they're ready to roost. Instead he parks himself near the gate or up against the fence where he can see his bedroom. But it's time to transition him back to his flock.

This boy has come a long way. I'm going to post a video of Henry walking, and then a video of his mad clucking and the chihuahuas howling in response, and then that's it for a good long while.

Thank you for following along, folks.

. I'm gonna risk a prediction that he regains enough use of his leg to 'tread' his hens! I believe that's his personal goal!;)

And today he mounted one of the hens. It was incredibly awkward and longer than usual for the poor hen, but this is the first time Henry tried to make more Henries since he was attacked, so it was also pretty incredible.
:yesss: Even though I predicted it, I am surprised it took less than 2 weeks!

GO HENRY! :bun

Ps Can't wait for vid of Henry and The Howling Chihuahuas? :lol:

Last edited:
Someone told me BYC is not my personal blogging space. That's why I've been so hesitant to post updates here and finally decided to stop.

But I won't be bullied in my life anymore, so here's a summary of Henry's recovery process, shared in the spirit of hoping this someday helps someone else. Note that he was attacked by a coyote on October 11, and his wounds were deep and extensive. This summary mostly focuses on the injury to his right leg.

- Henry's injured right leg has gone through several stages of healing and recovery. The day of the attack, his leg was totally limp and loose, from the hip on down to his toes. I suppose you could call this paralysis, as he showed no indication of movement, pain or awareness in that leg — and then he lost his ability to stand on the left leg.

- Initially there wasn't a visible indication of an injury. No swelling or wounds, no blood or redness or protruding bones. The leg looked perfectly fine, which led me to suspect nerve damage from a very deep and serious wound on the lower portion of the right side of his upper body, just under the wing.

- For some reason I feel anxious and unsettled when reading my earlier posts, so this is all from memory; therefore the timeline may be off. But I think it wasn't until two days after the attack that I noticed a small pink discoloration on the leg scales. In just another day or so it developed into more of a reddish color with slight swelling.

- As the redness and swelling increased, I researched every possibility and surmised it must be due to one of the following: the coyote broke or fractured Henry's leg without causing it to bleed; a couple days of immobility may have led to the development of bed sores; or he had a preexisting condition such as scaly leg mites or Mereck's disease.

- Sometime during the first week, I found some untreated wounds on Henry's undercarriage. I was so focused on the sucking body cavity wound and other serious wounds, that I had neglected to do a full examination. When I turned him over to trim feathers and apply honey, I noticed the pad on the bottom of his right foot was hard and swollen, and it was covered in a dark callous reminiscent of a bumble foot injury.

- That was one more area I had neglected to examine. A day or two later, as Henry's leg worsened and became alarmingly red and even more swollen, I soaked his foot and then turned him over and used a sterilized razor blade to scrape away layers of the callous, careful not to actually cut into his foot and perform surgery. It didn't take long for the thick callous to come off, revealing smooth, undamaged skin underneath.

- With bumble foot, the swollen hard pad often indicates the presence of pus, which lots of people say must be removed. But here and there a few quiet voices have said pus can sometimes dissolve on its own and that a noninvasive approach can be successful. I was satisfied with how this procedure went and decided to rely on epsom salt soaks, a drawing salve and honey to address the possibility of pus. Eventually the swelling in the pad healed and no further treatments were needed.

- I wasn't sure if the pad had been damaged by the coyote, but I did know from months of quietly lurking in the forum that bumble foot can lead to serious leg infections, and infections can go systemic, so it seemed like a possible explanation for what was happening to Henry's leg.

- However, when a red patch began to form on Henry's good leg, I began to really worry. His serious upper body wounds were showing remarkable healing from the Manuka honey treatments. As each day rolled along, I could see measurable progress and felt very encouraged. But what was happening with his legs was unexpected and alarming, and now with his good leg showing signs of decline, I began to question whether I was prolonging Henry's suffering and felt disheartened and really unsure of myself.

- Scales darkened and began to fall off, the redness deepened, and overnight the swelling seemed to significantly increase. I don't multitask well at all, so throughout this experience I fell behind on other projects and pretty much lived and breathed Henry and his recovery process. He didn't need me by his side all the time, but at one point I even ended up sleeping in his room. He was attacked when he was free ranging, and I felt responsible for what had happened. This development with his legs kind of broke me down and left me feeling like something horrible was happening to Henry that I couldn't stop. This was when I reached out to someone in the forum for some guidance on best practices for humanely ending my dear boy's suffering.

- Each day, though, I would wake up to a vibrant Henry. No changes to his eating or drinking or backend production unit habits (I will never be comfortable with the word poop, although I'm prone to saying far worse than that); no decrease in his desire to socialize with his hens. No signs of depression or a decrease in his vitality. The rooster just kept on going, and with encouragement from you, I kept on going, too.

- Then one morning I noticed a very slight decrease in the swelling on his right leg. The night before, I doused the entirety of his leg in turmeric extract. It stained absolutely everything, including Henry, the towels, the floor, and a small area on my neck and the side of my nose (can't explain that one). With the honey on his upper body wounds, an epsom salt brine all over, diced cilantro treats, and a turmeric dousing, he looked ready for the fryer — and remarkably he also looked like his legs were beginning to heal.

- The healing process felt like a series of frames in a slow moving movie, and some of his progress I wasn't grasping. It wasn't until I started posting videos here (at @Birdinhand's suggestion) that I was able to round out my understanding of just how much Henry was improving. You were able to see new developments I wasn't quite detecting on my own.

- Here's a summary to the summary to compact some of it together:

total paralysis; slight movement in his hip (thanks to @biophiliac's homeopathic coaching); remarkable movement in his hip and the ability to now lift and adjust his leg; the ankle frozen hard and locked down without any bend or movement; some slight pressing down on the leg, with the back of the knee joint used as a surrogate foot; growing mobility in his hip and daily practice in figuring out how to stand on his good leg, while resting the injured leg down on the floor; taking short, wobbly steps; progression to steps where there was now some space between the back of the knee and the floor; a gradual release in the knee joint that allowed for a more upright position to his mobility; the ankle joint remained swollen and hard with no movement, but the toes began to spread open and fan out just a bit.

- And as of the last few days, Henry's ankle has relaxed significantly and now he has some flexibility and bend, and just today, for the first time since the attack, his toes slightly cupped and wrapped around my finger during a massage.

- The consensus seems to be that Henry had a break or fracture, probably to his ankle joint, and edema from the lack of mobility. I learned that redness and swelling, even to an extreme, doesn't always imply infection and is often necessary for healing, and I also learned that nerve damage can heal but the process is lengthy and can be very painful.

So, that concludes the leg recovery summary.

One aspect of Henry's healing I don't think I addressed was his unintentional consumption of Manuka honey. I haven't come across anything that says it's safe to give chickens, or animals of any kind, honey internally. But it couldn't be helped. As he recovered from shock and became more alert, he would turn his head and stick his beak in the honey and ingest some because he didn't have a choice.

Once, when I was giving him some homeopathic pellets — small white balls I would place in a round ceramic dish for him to chase down — a lone pellet got stuck on the very tip of his beak. The honey held it in place. And often in the mornings I would find feathers stuck to his beak and see specks of food stuck near his honey covered wounds from his early morning self-exams.

Henry was pretty much consuming honey every day for several weeks. Were someone to tell me this had no bearing on his recovery, I would have to disagree. But I don't exactly have a test rooster or a placebo rooster I can point to and say, "See? The ingested honey really did help!"

So I'm asking you to trust me on this. TRUST ME. It always creeps me out when someone says that.

Anyway, consider this post the grand finale summary of Henry's healing process — just in time for Christmas and the New Year. I have two more videos I'd like to film and share with you sometime soon, but for now I really wanted to write down this experience with Henry's leg recovery. So many times I felt rather ill and upset, and couldn't believe it seemed to all come down to the unexplained swelling in his legs, that Henry may not recover, despite miraculous healing elsewhere.

But the dang bird lives, thanks to you and your gentle and patient encouragement and guidance. I'm very grateful. You put up with pages and pages of my rambling need to document this process. Writing is pretty much all I have to help me make sense of things. Thanks for your eyeballs on Henry and your eyeballs on these words.

G'night, folks.

Last edited:
Someone told me BYC is not my personal blogging space. That's why I've been so hesitant to post updates here and finally decided to stop.

Stunning!:th

And why not make this thread your personal blog??? I'm already subscribed. BYCLand is large and diverse. There is no shortage of 'air-time'.
I look forward eagerly to your posts and I feel dismayed that 'someone' might have caused a scarcity of them. @Nifty-Chicken is the 'governor' of BYCLand, so unless he is the 'someone' - just disregard.

Can't wait for the video updates you mentioned.

:hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom