This thread has been an amazing read, thank you I have learnt so much. My poor little 2 month old baby chick was scalped by another hen, I had no idea what to do. I' lucky to live in New Zealand and my partner is a beekeeper so I have free access to Manuka honey and figured it was my best bet for treating my babies wound. I was unsure it would work but after reading this thread about henry I'm assured my baby will heal.
Also I was so pleased to read about Henry's progress and I hope he is still doing well xx

Yes Jenstaar,

Welcome to BYC! :frow

As a matter of fact, Henry's keeper updated me on his progress, and he did make a full recovery.

He is soon to be a papa, of maybe several chicks, or more! So, he has been catching up on a lot of missed rooster activity. :yesss:

Manuka honey has proved to be an amazing remedy for some of the most serious wounds.

I hope you will document the progress of your chick with photos, And then update the members on BYC,
Start a new thread so you can earn the points for all you hard work.:thumbsup

I can hardly wait to hear about you experience with Manuka honey. :pop

God Bless :)

Thank you Hen Pen Jem
And huge congratulations to papa Henry, what fantastic news, I'm sure he will be a fantastic Dad xx
My baby is doing very well, it is day 4 and no sign of infection, all I have used is the Manuka honey, he or she is alert, eating and drinking......(not too mention looking very happy about living inside infront of the fire during our winter)

You are lucky, Jenstaar, to have such a ready supply! I keep Manuka honey in my first aid box always, but getting it here at a reasonable price is more difficult. I find myself using it more and more, rather than the modern meds. Hope your baby makes a full recovery.

Trust me I'm so grateful for our bees, my partner and I work very hard for our honey. Manuka honey is also horrendously expensive here.
Thank you, I hope so too, I love my chooks it hurts my heart when they are injured xx

Henry the Rooster still lives, folks!

One of the hens was bitten on the face by a rattlesnake today, and it's wildfire season, so keeping the flock safe is a big concern during summer. But the boy is doing great.

And it's true: Henry is officially a papa!!

If the two week old chicks stay true to the Welsummer breed, then at least two are definitely girls, and at least one is a baby Henry. We're not able to keep any more roosters right now, although I'd sure love to raise them. Hopefully I'll be able to find the boys nice homes.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can take a family portrait and post a new video. Henry and his wife Gertrude are wonderful parents. :p

Back
Top Bottom