Rooster shaking his head?!

MotherhenJ

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 16, 2013
MA
I am a first time chicken owner and love my 5 chickens very much. My Brown leghorn rooster recently got frostbite, when the freezing months reached -4 degrees. We kept him inside and put the temp up in the room he was in. We kept the temperature high enough for him to heal, but not to high. Miraculously we saved his comb! But soon after, he started to shake his head around about once an hour. We assumed it was because he was stretching his neck out. (the container we kept him in while he had frostbite was a little to short). But it has been almost 3 weeks now and he still shakes his head around often. He doesn't have any other symptoms. His ears are clean, his vent is clean, and i can't find any mites on him. Please tell me why he is doing this! Is their a vaccine? Will he get better? what is the treatment? Do i treat all the birds? How do i prevent this from happening again? Thanks so much!

If he is getting over frost bite, his comb and wattles are probably itching him. I know that in humans itching/burning is part of the healing/recovery. Is he eating, drinking, pooping, and crowing normally?

If he is getting over frost bite, his comb and wattles are probably itching him. I know that in humans itching/burning is part of the healing/recovery. Is he eating, drinking, pooping, and crowing normally?

Yes he is eating, drinking, pooping, and certainly crowing normally! I'm just worried. Although he did have frostbite on his wattles also. Thank you for your input. It REALLY helps!

This may not be related but I have had chickens with ear mites do this. You can use ear medicine for dogs or cats and it will help if that's the case. Just a small drop in each ear. If mites are not the problem you will not be out much and the medicine will not hurt anything.

Some of my chickens do the same thing but they never got frost bite so I doubt its a symptom of frost bite.

Back
Top Bottom