Rooster sitting on eggs?

Jake1297

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Western Maine
Anyone ever come across anything like this? My guineas, two hens, laid 21 eggs in the nest up the loft. They took turns sitting on them while the other free ranged. Then along comes my R.I. and she lays three eggs in the same nest. Now she sits on the eggs and both guineas will go and free range while she's there. Most of the day. At night it's not surprising to find one guinea and one R.I. sitting on the nest. But, last night when I went down to check, the rooster, was sitting on the nest beside one of the guineas. Is normal or strange? I had no broken or missing eggs in the morning.

Maybe he was her Lamaze Coach!
lol.png

Sounds like you have a happy family!
smile.png
I wouldn't say it's everyday behavior, but I don't think it's unheard of behavior in roos. I had a Barred Rock cockerel who would get in the nest box on occasion. A good roo will not only show his hens what to do (whether or not they want his advice
smile.png
), he'll pitch in when he thinks he's needed.

And I just got to thinking - maybe the guineas, who have a fairly well-developed sense of sharing duties, are influencing the chickens' behavior. In my mind, this isn't a bad thing at all.

Thanks for posting the photos of your nice coop on your BYC page!

Last edited:
Better get those chicken eggs out of the nest. Chickens hatch a week before the keats. The responsible parent will be long gone with the chicks, leaving the guinea eggs in the cold.......Pop

Oh, and yes it does happen. Good rooster there.

Thanks for the replies, advice, and compliments. I have removed the chicken eggs, they are in the bator just in case they are fertile. For the most part they all get along, but they do have their days.

Back
Top Bottom