rooster sneezing, coughing? I don't know what he's doing...

markandamy06

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
I seriously don't know whether its a sneeze, a cough, or just a squeak. On one of the bitter cold days here in VA, it started that evening. Every time he'd make his "ladies, come eat" sound, he'd only get it halfway out and then sneeze/cough/squeak. He's crowing fine, sounds a little hoarse/gurgley. But otherwise, fine. It's almost like he has a sore throat, to be quiet honest with you. No runny nose or anything. And absolutely zero other symptoms other than he's a little more grumpy than normal haha. He's eat/drinking/ranging well. If nothing else, it seems like he might be drinking more than normal. But I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't like the ACV in the water and just waiting to drink from the range bucket when i let them out in the afternoon.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Doesn't seem respiratory. Maybe he just "caught a chill"?

How much ACV are you putting in the water? One tablespoonful or 1/2 ounce per gallon is plenty. Or leave it out for a few days. He may be sneezing due to the change in weather, dusty conditions, or ammonia odor. If you notice anyone else sneezing, then you could research infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma gallisepticum. Watch him for eye bubbles, swelling of the eye or face, and nasal or eye drainage. Here is a list of common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

thanks!! we had a hen with MG once and this is nothing like that. I was wondering about the change in the weather or amonia. I cleaned the coop out yesterday, just in case. I had wrist surgery 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to keep up with it like normal. I wonder if that might be the case.

Im only putting 1 tbs per gallon of ACV...if that.

He seems to be a lot better today -- but it's also a lot warmer today. I'm hoping that it's not weather related, because we'll be getting a cold front again very soon! Hopefully it was just the coop. Whew...

Back
Top Bottom