Rooster suddenly a little aggressive

Eggsistentialist

Songster
Sep 11, 2019
I have a 6.5 month old BR roo I keep at the farm where I work. He is a rescue. He has ways been a sweetheart, but suddenly yesterday he lunged at me when I entered the coop with some treats (old tomatoes, their favorite), he lunged at me as I fed the girls. He's always polite and lets them eat first, and very protective of his flock. He now wont let me pet them.

We do have a farm dog who on occasion likes to herd the hens. I hate that my boss let's her do this, and have asked him multiple times to keep her out of the chicken yard.

I know he has just hit puberty and his hormones are raging, but I'm wondering if the dog's presence might be keeping him on high alert? Or at least contribute to this behavior.

Any advice on how to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem?

I have a 6.5 month old BR roo I keep at the farm where I work. He is a rescue. He has ways been a sweetheart, but suddenly yesterday he lunged at me when I entered the coop with some treats (old tomatoes, their favorite), he lunged at me as I fed the girls. He's always polite and lets them eat first, and very protective of his flock. He now wont let me pet them.

We do have a farm dog who on occasion likes to herd the hens. I hate that my boss let's her do this, and have asked him multiple times to keep her out of the chicken yard.

I know he has just hit puberty and his hormones are raging, but I'm wondering if the dog's presence might be keeping him on high alert? Or at least contribute to this behavior.

Any advice on how to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem?
It's actually normal behavior for a cockerel to be threatened by you bringing food for and feeding his pullets.
If you can give him the food to feed the pullets, that would be ideal but oftentimes, it's impossible to get through the throng of girls to do that.

The same thing happened with me and my Copper maran Toby. After returning from vacation Tobly lunged at me while holding one of the hens. He would only go after me and not anyone else, never making contact just a threat now and then. It did seem like he was more moody when food was involved. Maybe its because they get that serge of excitement when they are going to get treats and that turns to aggression.

I agree about holding him. Every time Toby would lunge I would scoop him up and hold him for a few minuets. I also would feed him treats that he would feed to the girls. Its been about a month since he last went at me. He is ok with me holding the girls but he watches closely and crows at me. I dont trust him %100 like before but I think that is just how it is when it comes to roosters.

Good Luck with your roo.

Pick him up and carry him. That helps some roosters realize not to beat on you. Henry VIII II (dead now) terrorized my family for 3 years. He didn’t beat on me because once he started, I’d beat him back. Henry VIII III (alive) is almost a year old, and has only flapped his wings at me once. If all else fails, there’s always the crockpot :drool

Thanks for the insight and advice everyone.

@DobieLover our hens are grown. The youngest are 2, the oldest (last of our first flock) is about 7. But the hens have full respect for him. He wont take the food, just let's the girls have their share, and while they are occupied, I will toss him some treats and he will gobble them up. They share pellets with no problem. I think it was more just me entering the coop and petting a hen after the dog had been trying to chase the hens. We keep their food in there in a metal can with a snap on lid, so feeding time happens inside the coop, and has never been a problem. Wasn't today.

He was much mellower today. No lunging, puffing or flapping. He let me scoop him up. @CalBickieMomma @americanchicks @Henry&Friends I carried him around today and he just melted like his sweet old self. Tossed him under my arm and did my chicken chores as we usually do. I was away last weekend so thinking maybe he just got out of routine? He hates my boss because he brings the dog. No matter how many times I tell him not to let her in the chicken yard, he always does. I think that really stresses him out. I noticed the aggression happened when the dog was around. Seems to be a link there.

Now I am a little nervous about a trip planned for this long weekend (I only get to take my breaks in october/November in between plantings and at the end of the busy season) as the boss said he would not be interacting with the rooster and would not be leaving the dog at home.

I wish I could bring him home, but we live in a neighborhood where the houses are on top of each other, and roosters are out because one neighbor had 4, so no more allowed. Hens are fine, but not roosters.

@chickens really he had no problem with it today. Had to pick a couple up as they tried to run out of the yard. He made a few noises, came over to see if they were ok, then just went back to the rest of the flock.

Years ago, a poster on here (I think it was Centrarchid, highly respected contributor) recommended not feeding immediately when entering the coop/run. At first I was flattered when they all came running toward me, looking for food. But it is an exciting mob like mentality, and overly excited birds can become aggressive. So I just walk in for a bit, give them water, check for eggs, look at the birds and then I feed them.

When I first started doing this, I would literally wait until they had calmed down and wandered off. Now, it depends on my schedule, but I still hesitate before feeding them. Much more relaxed response, and much safer response.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom