Rooster suddenly dead

HatchingFun22

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Hello all! I don’t know what happened or how to diagnose this but my rooster died today in the coop. My son found him laying in the middle of the coop, very stiff but my kids swear they had seen him an hour before.

He was around 2.5-3 years old. He lost some long tail feathers last week but we figured it was due to him fighting with the neighbor’s rooster (his son). A few weeks ago, he was limping but seemed to be almost healed from that, and he had been fighting with the same roo that week as well.

He had table scraps including lettuce, sweet potatoes, and some blueberries a few hours ago. The chickens have all been eating crumble feed and pellets (bags from the local store).

I haven’t dewormed the chickens since last winter when I noticed wormy feces, and I also treated the whole flock for coccidiosis last summer due to sick pullets. No loss or issues since then besides an old hen having to be put down a few months ago.

Issues I feel need mentioned: 1. my neighbor lost a chicken to an unknown illness to die with breathing issues last week.
2. There is a dead dove by the coop that one of the birds picks up and moved but did not eat.
3. It looked like there was straw from their nesting boxes in his mouth and the chickens had drank all the water in the coop since my daughter gave them some this morning, but I’m unsure if the straw was from when my husband removed him from the coop.

My husband buried him already because I have such a fear of illness spreading to my kids so I can’t have him tested 😞

Here are the pictures of his body. I welcome any input. My neighbor thinks he couldn’t breath, but I didn’t notice him struggling at all recently besides the missing tail feathers.

Attachments

• F9628F8B-B5D7-46FA-9473-3B6B646CEFC4.jpeg
    F9628F8B-B5D7-46FA-9473-3B6B646CEFC4.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 74
  • 43324963-0B3D-4013-90F1-C71390AEF1AB.jpeg
    43324963-0B3D-4013-90F1-C71390AEF1AB.jpeg
    746.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0101C8B7-1C40-4F86-B5EE-BBDCE0E7BC6E.jpeg
    0101C8B7-1C40-4F86-B5EE-BBDCE0E7BC6E.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 13
  • F841B118-51A5-48E3-8AF2-EEA134C8B60C.jpeg
    F841B118-51A5-48E3-8AF2-EEA134C8B60C.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 16
Very sorry about your rooster. The contagious part is the scariest thing. There was an old, old chicken house right next to the chicken yard I fenced in. I didn't put them in the same area as the old hen house. Now I'm worrying about something bad being in the soil. Since your rooster passed so fast, I don't think he was sick.

If you need help with anything, it would be best to start your thread.
This bird died of organ failure, which is fairly common. Especially for a rooster eating layer type feeds.

Very sorry about your rooster. The contagious part is the scariest thing. There was an old, old chicken house right next to the chicken yard I fenced in. I didn't put them in the same area as the old hen house. Now I'm worrying about something bad being in the soil. Since your rooster passed so fast, I don't think he was sick.

If you need help with anything, it would be best to start your thread.
This bird died of organ failure, which is fairly common. Especially for a rooster eating layer type feeds.
She just joined a couple of hours ago and this thread pops up under her thread she did start, albeit hoping she gets it in the E.R.

Back
Top Bottom