Rooster taken over nesting box

csk021

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Anyone have a problem with a rooster in their nesting box? I have 9 hens, 1 rooster and 3 nesting boxes. My hens just started laying eggs last week so I opened up the nesting boxes so they were accessible to them (i had them blocked off before so they wouldn't poop in them). Since then, the rooster has taken claim over the middle one and i never find eggs in it. When i lock them up for the night i find him laying in there. I have never seen him up on my roosts like the other hens. Is he just lazy and doesn't want to jump up on the roosts? It's a little annoying becuase the nesting boxes were not built for him!
smile.png

Well thats a new one!!! I know roosters check the nests out for the hens and try to find good spots. And they sometimes stand watch while their hens are laying the eggs. But I have never heard of that. How many hens do you have? If its not too many I suppose it wouldnt hurt for him to lay there. He does sound kinda lasy though.
smile.png

I have a buff Brahma roo who never learned to perch on a roost. I used to stick him up on the lower roost poles at night, to try to get the idea trhrough, and he used to pace back and forth under them, in the evening, trying to get up the gumption to jump up. He'd hunch up his shoulders and make the most pathetic little jump, like a little kid trying to work up to a big jump.

I finally gave up, and just let him sleep where he wants, as long as he's not in with a broody hen. If he is, I just move him to an empty nest.

He's huge, I wonder if he's so heavy he just doesn't feel safe up in the air. He sleeps in nest boxes, too. Sometimes a hen or two will join him, or baby chicks. He's very good with the chicks, he never steps on them or pecks at them. They climb all over him, sometimes.

You guys have all been so helpful! Of all the chicken problems i could have i guess this is by far not the worst. So i guess i'll chase him out now and then but i think he'll just keep returning. He is a very large bird as well and maybe he doesn't feel safe up there (all 10 inches!). Maybe he's afraid of heights!
lol.png

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom