Rooster that is good with kids?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clemson11, Jul 26, 2010.

1. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    I am looking for a rooster that will not be to aggressive or obnoxious so my 2yr girl can still handle the chickens and be around them. I was thinking about a silver laced Wyandotte. Any thoughts on this one or any other ones would be great!!!

2. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a Light Brahma and so far he is really good with the kids, and everyone else for that matter. He's only 21 weeks, though, so we'll see what he's like in a few months.

I've read that while certain breeds might have tendencies to be gentle/aggressive/whatever, that a rooster of any breed can be wonderful or awful. It depends on the bird.

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I know for sure that Barred Rocks are REALLY sweet! They are good with children and if you want a bantam Cochins are the best [​IMG]

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    My picks in this order: (1) Delaware (2) Barred Rock (3) Ameraucauna... All of my "Large" Roos in these breeds are very gentle, they won't even fight each other! [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I keep various Brahmas, all huge, but all sweeties and would never attack anything,

Sandie

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I Completely Agree with you ! Barred Rocks and Cochins are both Great With Children [​IMG]

7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    My SLW rooster has attacked me, once, and a friend of mine multiple times, in spite of him kicking the chicken away from him when he was attacked... I cannot recommend a SLW, personally....

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:A rooster and a 2 year old child? I've raised a lot of roosters and I would never allow them around a child. Whenever we have kids over the rooster gets locked up.

Something like a Silkie or bantam Cochin might be okay, but really watch the roo at the one year old mark. You might consider going all bantam for a kid's flock.

9. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    Thank you all for taking time to answer, this is really good information.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:A rooster and a 2 year old child? I've raised a lot of roosters and I would never allow them around a child. Whenever we have kids over the rooster gets locked up.

Something like a Silkie or bantam Cochin might be okay, but really watch the roo at the one year old mark. You might consider going all bantam for a kid's flock.

[​IMG]
    I have a very large dark brahma roo, very gentle, very sweet. I also have a 4 yr. old GS. It is my very strong opinion that children and roos don't mix. A roo's brain simply isn't capable of distinguishing between a predator going after his hens and a child going after his hens. They both run, make noise and grab at the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by