Rooster to hen ratio

slifeh

Chirping
Feb 26, 2021
I’m fairly new to roosters ... I’ve had them now for 3/4 of a year but never really put much thought into this. I understand the correct ratio is 1 rooster for 10 hens ... what happens if you have more roosters than the specific ratio. Does it affect egg production, cause stress, etc. Any input would be appreciated!

I’m fairly new to roosters ... I’ve had them now for 3/4 of a year but never really put much thought into this. I understand the correct ratio is 1 rooster for 10 hens ... what happens if you have more roosters than the specific ratio. Does it affect egg production, cause stress, etc. Any input would be appreciated!
I keep an odd number of roosters, & hens, & don't have any big problems. I just have to supply hen saddles in case some of the boys get a bit more rowdy then the others. Every year, I have a new Alpha in one of my coops.

It will depend on your roosters. If they are actively being roosters with gusto, they will tear up your hens and cause stress .. affecting egg production. Two roosters might seem like they get along, for a while, and then try to kill each other ... like my two did. I have one rooster and 16 hens. They all seem happy.

Like @JacinLarkwell said, there is no correct ratio. You can keep as little as 3 or 4 hens with each rooster, and just watch for over mating. I have 3 hens with my rooster and none of them are overmated. I’m sure it’s because he maturing but just an example.
What exactly do I need to watch for when you say “overmating” ... are you referring to how the chickens body is appearing... loss of feathers on back, head, etc.

It will depend on your roosters. If they are actively being roosters with gusto, they will tear up your hens and cause stress .. affecting egg production. Two roosters might seem like they get along, for a while, and then try to kill each other ... like my two did. I have one rooster and 16 hens. They all seem happy.
Do hen saddles help with the stress caused by overmating?

I keep an odd number of roosters, & hens, & don't have any big problems. I just have to supply hen saddles in case some of the boys get a bit more rowdy then the others. Every year, I have a new Alpha in one of my coops.
Is there a specific brand/type of hen saddle you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom