Rooster to hen ratio

Personally, I'd go with 1 rooster per 10-30 birds, and then consider an additional rooster after that.

If I have more than 1 rooster and fewer than 30-ish birds, I'd keep them separate.

Breed and personality are also a factor of course

What are your goals? Why do you want chickens? How does a rooster fit into those goals? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have some of those myself. But my personal preferences will be different from yours so we will likely get different answers.

You can have the same issues whether you have 1 rooster per 1 or 2 hens versus 1 rooster for every 30 to 40 hens. More girls will not stop the boys from fighting if they are going to fight. Regardless of numbers you can still get over-mated hens or barebacked hens. Some roosters can keep 25 to 30 hens laying fertile eggs, others may have trouble keeping up with 5 hens. Each chicken is an individual and each flock has its own dynamics.

To me the ideal ratio is the one that suits your goals. The trick is to then make that work.

I would not add a second rooster, unless my flock was 25-30. You can certainly do more than that, but the more roosters you have, the greater chance you have of it not going well.

I like to enjoy my birds, and bad roosters can ruin that. Making even caring for them stressful. They don't call it cock fighting for nothing. Rooster's attacking people are not good either.

The least number of roosters for your needs is the best decision.

Mrs K

Yes one rooster to about 8-15 hens seems good imo, maybe a bit more. And then if you have two flocks the same with one deal, seperate the two groups. Mine free range so would have to build some sorta area for the second flock if was to do that, suppose.

Has anyone here had two flocks with two roosters that keep to themselves without forming one big group? Don't think so right? An what's the point really, might as well have em all together if so.

A friend has had four roosters to 20 hens before which is a bit much imo. But only has one again now, to 14 hens, due to foxes ๐ŸฆŠ

Has anyone here had two flocks with two roosters that keep to themselves without forming one big group?
You might want to look up some posts and articles by @Shadrach

Dad kept one free ranging flock with one rooster and 25 to 30 hens. That suited his goals. Now after a few dog attacks my main laying/breeding flock is 1 rooster and 6 to 8 hens inside electric netting to stop dogs. I once had a free ranging flock of 15 hens and three roosters. One rooster had his own harem and kept them off by themselves. The other two shared a harem, though they knew which one was dominant.

There is no one boy to girl ratio that is ideal for every flock on the planet.

I've never tried that many hens with a rooster... The most I've ever put is top of 8. Other people are saying it works for them, so no harm in trying??if not you could try get another rooster. But I wouldn't put another rooster in the same pen as another rooster, and hens. The roosters would fight

Back
Top Bottom