Rooster to protect the ladies

After my post on 1/2/15, we now have a mixed flock with 15 chicks hatched from our existing flock, raised under broody hens already here, 3 of those 15 are cockerels. We have one Cuckoo Marans roo who is almost 4 years old that is the "dad" to two of the cockerels and most of the pullets and one boy and one girl who are from a Silver Spangled Hamburg rooster. All of the cockerels are now 21-26 weeks old.

We have 42 girls to the 4 boys and it's working out very well. The head roo keeps all the other boys in line and is teaching them how to be good roosters. Some small skirmishes now and then, but nothing serious. Having a good mature rooster in the flock makes a big difference when raising cockerels.

Shanti, our head roo, is vigilant in making sure the boys don't get too aggressive with the girls and also in teaching them to take care of the girls properly. Such a fascinating process to watch.

Last edited:
Is there a specific breed that makes for a good rooster. In other words I would like a rooster that is easy to manage that will protect the hens. I've heard so much about roosters chasing people and just being mean.
A lot of behavior is genetic. With hatchery birds bad temper is not culled. The birds are not raised the same as our back yard situation. With breeder birds the line of bird has usually been selected for standard of perfection qualities and demeanor. Breeders don't want to work with ill tempered cock birds. Their set up is a back yard situation not a factory so care of qualities that will breed forward are taken into consideration.

It's hit or miss with cockerels and hatchery stock. I'm on my second breeder line of birds and both lines are exceedingly docile. Three cock birds prior of assorted breeds and non breeder were all kind of jerks.

Back
Top Bottom