Rooster torn in half

JTMM1017

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2024
We had a rooster get killed by something but are unsure as to what it was. He was torn in half and they left the lower half in the middle of the yard a little ways from a pile of feathers and some of the innards and a trail of feathers all over. What animal would've done this? I've never seen this before.

We had a rooster get killed by something but are unsure as to what it was. He was torn in half and they left the lower half in the middle of the yard a little ways from a pile of feathers and some of the innards and a trail of feathers all over. What animal would've done this? I've never seen this before.
Where are you located? First guess for me is either a dog or racoon

Sounds like a hawk with being attacked and left in the open yard. Were the bones picked clean or chewed up? But could be just about anything so many things love a free chicken dinner.

My guess is a raccoon. It will likely be back. Put a trail camera up and see what is coming around.

Where are you located? First guess for me is either a dog or racoon
Olympia Washington, I thought maybe racoon or coyote as well but it was quite the scene and the ones that got attacked either were gone all but some feathers or no sign of them ever existing so to find half of it just left behind and feathers EVERYWHERE was different

Olympia Washington, I thought maybe racoon or coyote as well but it was quite the scene and the ones that got attacked either were gone all but some feathers or no sign of them ever existing so to find half of it just left behind and feathers EVERYWHERE was different
Have you checked under any structures for the missing ones? That's where a raccoon dragged our giant rooster this past summer when he was too big to carry far

sounds like family raccoons or pack of coons, coyote maybe.
Coyote from what I read will not eat feathers, coon will consume whole chicken and also carry them away.
coon will travel in family packs.

Back
Top Bottom