Rooster trouble

Kareka Barss

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2017
IMG_2127.JPG
So my Roo is a silkie. I haven't had problems with me before, however he went after my niece one day. They were out roaming yard and she went past where we could see her. She wasn't hurt. We learned. No more little kids out of site. Well for some reason he goes after my husband. I witnessed it one day. Roo had no clue I was out there, my husband came out of house and walked into yard. The rooster saw him and came flying from woods and immediately stopped when he saw me. Now my husband has never done any wrong to the chickens. He loves them. Today he went into full on attack mode to him while I was in house. I got Roo into he coop and picked him up. Didn't try scratching nothing. Just calmly stayed there. Why would he keep trying to attack him and how can I fix this. I don't want to get rid of my Roo. But..........

This won't end well, and even though he's small he can do real damage. He'd be going to be dinner for some nice family if he were mine! You can try to retrain him, but honestly, it's not going to make him safe. What idiot attacks the giants who bring food? His offspring are likely to inherit his behavior, and there are so many nice roosters out there, why feed this one? He doesn't love you!!! My first cock bird was a very nasty bantam, and I learned; only polite cockerels stay here. Mary

I have the same issue with my 5 month old RIR roo. Some days he is perfectly fine, while other days he gets a feather across his roo butt and is the nastiest bird to anyone that crosses his path. He even goes after my drake. This past week he went after my daughter's friend - while she mindind her own business. I honestly fear for anyone's life that steps foot in our yard (mailman, UPS guy too). I've heard you can train them, but haven't the faintest clue how.
IMG_20170729_112918590.jpg

He is a Silkie Batam. He now has a chipped beak due to he went after my husbands steel toe boots. I'm at a loss. He is my first rooster. And I'm afraid but my heart is torn. He has never come after me. So basically rehome him. Or? I have read on retraining. But my husband doesn't want to pick him up and carry him around like I do. He's afraid that he's going to come at him all the time now. I have another rooster that's about 2 months behind him. But he comes up to all of us with no issues. My silkie Roo is about 6 mo the old

I don't know, maybe it's competition, maybe it's his age. Is your hubby afraid of the rooster or is he just done? Obvious question did you baby the rooster? I have zero experience with silkies but I do know babying a rooster is usually a big noooope especially when they're in the teenage stage.

I didn't baby him. I handled all the chickens from chicks. All the same. All of them come running to me. He's not afraid of them. He's done with him now. Doesn't even want to try to hold him to show him. Hes upset that the Roo did this. But knows what these chickens mean to me. You know.

He's cute so it's hard to believe he's ruthless but I know it's possible. If you want to keep him it's probably best he has his own space until he matures. You won't know if he's a jerk or if it's hormones until he's at least a year old.

So my once problem Roo has now almost vanished. He attacked my little brother yesterday even with a cracked beak, gave up. Then later on my husband went to lock them in like he does every night. Roo had disappeared. Extremely worried. He went searching for hours in the woods, etc no sign of him. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom