Rooster troubles

Hey guys, yesterday i had 2 hens get attacked by a couple young roosters in the mud. They were huddled in a corner with their backs to the flock. Tonight i was feeding and collecting eggs when 2 young roosters (4month olds) cornered one and were battling for breeding rights on rop of her. All she could do was scream until i got to her then she just layed on her side. I put her in my feed room by herself for now. Its between 2 coops with chicken wire as 2 walls so they can all see her but not get to her. She has a pretty ugly slice on her back near her tail and she's still covered in mud from yesterday. My question is how do i get all that mud off her and clean the wound? They've been plucking feathers from several of my hens. I just merged the young with my adults. Will def be separating the rooster from the rest now.
You've recieved good advice on wound care. Getting the wound cleaned out is important, so hopefully you won't have an issues. Triple antibiotic ointment works well. It's fairly inexpensive as well. Vetericyn works too, but doesn't keep the wound that moist.
You may need to pluck or cut some feathers away from the wound so it stays cleaner.

You only have the 2 four month old cockerels or do you have other males too? Quite a lot of feather damage, there.
I agree, I would separate both cockerels and give the ladies some relief. For this injured gal, get her eating/drinking well - if at all possible, cage or house her with the other ladies, but tend to the wound a couple of times a day and keep flies off it.
But, if you want to keep her aside and it's working, then that's fine too. I really like to keep all mine together when possible - less drama when letting them back into the flock (most of the time😁)

Back
Top Bottom