Rooster upsetting the pullets?

purecountrychicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Gray Court, SC
I have 22 Barred Rock pullets that are 24 weeks old and no eggs yet. They act like they could start laying any day. The rir rooster is 21 weeks old and wanting to and trying to mate with the pullets. Could he be upsetting the girls and delaying their laying?,,,lol

IMO, no. I had two roosters that were sowing their wild oats from 10 weeks on and I still had early layers for their breed.
Once the girls are ready for mating things calm down a whole lot.
The only way I could see it delaying laying is if you had too many roosters for the number of hens.

Last edited:
From my experiance you will be better off without any roosters, yes I think sometimes they just stress the hens, and for me I tried 3 or 4 diffrient roosters, and every time I cull the rooster the hens became so happy and as soon as I bring another one after few weeks, my hens start to become stressed and they don't eat well.
Last tuesday I got red of the last and only rooster and eat him for dinner, since then I noticed that my hens are way more happy and they started to eat very good again.

I decided not to have any roosters, and if one of my hens goes broody I will just buy some eggs for her.

Omran

Back
Top Bottom