Rooster violently attacking?

AllyJane

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
It all started last week... I went to go spend some time with my chickens as I always do, I sit down and give them a pat but suddenly out of nowhere my silkie rooster just charges me, attacking me with his claws and beak... So I got up, shook my pride of and continued on. And ever since then hes been at least attacking me once every two days while feeding time. But this morning I went out to feed the chickens and he violently attacked me three times and once while I was leaving. His claws scratched my legs, making them bleed, next time I'm wearing boots, and when I sit down he aims for my face.

Any answers?

- Ally
(I can hardly trust taking the kids out to collect the eggs)

Last edited:
Yikes! This is what I am afraid of. I want a rooster, but this would be my worst nightmare. would love to hear answers as well.
(sorry I couldn't help)

Yikes! This is what I am afraid of. I want a rooster, but this would be my worst nightmare. would love to hear answers as well.
(sorry I couldn't help)

This one just turned mean and nasty, before he was very nice. (Every rooster is different :D Get a rooster!)
I don't know what got into him.. I think if he draws blood one more time we might have to cull.

I have a silkie roo that does the same thing...and, so does his son. He is my son's rooster. My son, injured his leg in January and hasn't been out to visit his roo. I was ready to send him, the rooster :), to the big chicken coop in the sky. My son went out, scooped him up, loved on him a while and put him back down. He hasn't attacked since.

So, my advice to you...scoop him up, carry him around under one arm for awhile, petting him like you did when he was little. See what happens. It worked for us :)

His son, he will charge from across the yard to peck my feet...he is a beast...but pick him up? He's a love bug. Who knows what goes on in the minds of roosters?

As far as never getting a rooster? There are many, many good roosters. I have many good roosters here. If not for Marek's, I would be giving them away as flock protectors...they are wonderful!!! My 7 year old picks them up and lugs them around :)

I have a silkie roo that does the same thing...and, so does his son. He is my son's rooster. My son, injured his leg in January and hasn't been out to visit his roo. I was ready to send him, the rooster :), to the big chicken coop in the sky. My son went out, scooped him up, loved on him a while and put him back down. He hasn't attacked since.

So, my advice to you...scoop him up, carry him around under one arm for awhile, petting him like you did when he was little. See what happens. It worked for us :)

His son, he will charge from across the yard to peck my feet...he is a beast...but pick him up? He's a love bug. Who knows what goes on in the minds of roosters?

As far as never getting a rooster? There are many, many good roosters. I have many good roosters here. If not for Marek's, I would be giving them away as flock protectors...they are wonderful!!! My 7 year old picks them up and lugs them around :)
Sounds good! I'll try it in a few mins when I go to collect the eggs again today :)

My leghorn would attack me any time I picked up one of his hens to inspect them. I would pick up a hen each day and when he came at me I picked him up and set the hen down. After that I would carry him around the coop with me until I was done. It took about 2 months to get him to let me inspect all his hens, but he still gets really mad and pecks them after I put them back down.

My leghorn would attack me any time I picked up one of his hens to inspect them. I would pick up a hen each day and when he came at me I picked him up and set the hen down. After that I would carry him around the coop with me until I was done. It took about 2 months to get him to let me inspect all his hens, but he still gets really mad and pecks them after I put them back down.
Thank you,! I shall try it next when he is being nasty!

I had 2 banty roos, one was a flogger and drew blood on me,and attacked my children in particular. We tried everything water squirt bottle, sticks to shoo him,etc, to make him stop- to no avail (although he was hard to catch to carry, he'd flog and run). I with reluctance decided to have someone from my job with that kind of experience cull him. (Last minute my mom took him to live at her house as a pet- bet her neighbors love her!- where he will still chase my kids and stepdad, but not to the violent measure he did at my place, so its kind of funny now) I just couldnt have him making my daily treks to the coop miserable, and painful for my children.
My other rooster will try to flog on occasion but I usually just pick him up when he comes in for one, and carry him around, he is VERY docile and doesnt mind at all (the other one if I did manage to catch and try to carry fought and hollered the whole time I had him in hand.)
So if you are willing to cull if you get a particularly mean and nasty one, or get rid of it, I love having a roo around they are just so darn pretty! And I could never carry around a hen like I do my rooster he really is my sweetest most "pet like". (at ashleyrae211)
Good Luck! Its no fun to be attacked in your own yard!

I had 2 banty roos, one was a flogger and drew blood on me,and attacked my children in particular. We tried everything water squirt bottle, sticks to shoo him,etc, to make him stop- to no avail (although he was hard to catch to carry, he'd flog and run). I with reluctance decided to have someone from my job with that kind of experience cull him. (Last minute my mom took him to live at her house as a pet- bet her neighbors love her!- where he will still chase my kids and stepdad, but not to the violent measure he did at my place, so its kind of funny now) I just couldnt have him making my daily treks to the coop miserable, and painful for my children.
My other rooster will try to flog on occasion but I usually just pick him up when he comes in for one, and carry him around, he is VERY docile and doesnt mind at all (the other one if I did manage to catch and try to carry fought and hollered the whole time I had him in hand.)
So if you are willing to cull if you get a particularly mean and nasty one, or get rid of it, I love having a roo around they are just so darn pretty! And I could never carry around a hen like I do my rooster he really is my sweetest most "pet like". (at ashleyrae211)
Good Luck! Its no fun to be attacked in your own yard!
We never culled him, he got over it. :p

You story is so cute! Our rooster isn't pretty, we think he's an inbred lol. He's meant to be a silkie, but he looks deformed xD 6 toes, on each foot, and the biggest ball sacks on his face xD

But he's the first chicken/rooster we got, so he means something.. i guess :p

thats awesome! I kept telling the one I gave to my mom "one more time you make me bleed buddy and thats IT!" he didnt listen.
Glad to hear yours quit tho! I had a silkie roo that I didnt realize was a roo until he crowed (at like a year old!) he wasent very cute either.
I gave him to my friends who needed a rooster in their flock, apparently he gives all their freinds a chuckle just because of his looks!

Back
Top Bottom