Rooster vs geese

PonderingKiwi

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
I think this is where this goes? Sorry if it’s not.

I think my geese are pulling out my roosters butt and wing feathers. Not his tail but under it is bald. It looks ridiculous.

Any ideas on how to help him out? I can’t separate them unfortunately. They leave him alone unless he gets too close to them or he mates too roughly within earshot of them.. the geese don’t like disturbances. As far as I can tell.. they don’t hunt him down so I assume he can and will learn to give them a wide berth. However! Any ideas on how to help now would be appreciated.. I tried to google it but just found a bunch of stuff about mites and we’ve already treated everyone so we know it’s not mites. Gotta be the geese.. have definitely seen them grab him and pull out his feathers before

They don’t mess with the hens. Ronald just bullied them when they were small and then one day they saw me yell at him for kicking me and that was it.. enemy of the state. It’s gotten better over time.. I just feel bad for him. Hoping I’m not the only one who’s had to death with fighting children 😩

Raise the roosts? Where are they doing this, you think?
They roost in the rafters.. so I don’t think it’s at night. I imagine they’re just catching him in the yard. Maybe while he’s drinking and not watching? I’ve only seen him get grabbed during mating when he didn’t get enthusiastic consent. It must be happening more than that for how bald he’s behind is becoming. And his one wing is definitely missing nearly all the flight feathers. I don’t think it’s predators.. I was looking at maybe something like a saddle so they can’t grab him, but I don’t think that would cover the under his tail area. It’s above his vent tho. So. I’m not sure

Hmm, can you separate your geese out? Or the chickens?
I could maybe temporarily.. they “free range” in the fenced in yard.. which is big enough for them to avoid each other. So to separate them it would have to be my locking someone up in the run during the day.. and that would only be sustainable for a couple days. Do geese imagine themselves as part of the flock? Maybe they’d be lower in the pecking order if they were separated for a couple days? Or maybe not. We did have to separate everyone when it was in the -20s to keep everyone from freezing to death and that didn’t help.. hmmm..

I could maybe temporarily.. they “free range” in the fenced in yard.. which is big enough for them to avoid each other. So to separate them it would have to be my locking someone up in the run during the day.. and that would only be sustainable for a couple days. Do geese imagine themselves as part of the flock? Maybe they’d be lower in the pecking order if they were separated for a couple days? Or maybe not. We did have to separate everyone when it was in the -20s to keep everyone from freezing to death and that didn’t help.. hmmm..
First, I'd establish if it is the geese doing it. If it is, is decide what to do. Geese can be jerks.

First, I'd establish if it is the geese doing it. If it is, is decide what to do. Geese can be jerks.
They do their job well. Nothing messes with our ladies. They chase off cats and things. They just do their job too well. The ladies are safe.. from unwanted attention as well. It really couldn’t be anything else. It’s got be the geese. I don’t think he’s getting stuck anywhere.. and no one else seems to be missing any feathers. Maybe he can just tough it out? That feels awful. But it’ll be hot soon.. maybe some booty breezes won’t be too awful? 😩

Back
Top Bottom