Rooster vs Rooster

starrmar006

Songster
6 Years
Jan 10, 2017
Western WA, USA
I have 2 roosters one is the father of the other one and I have a question why won't my old rooster let my young one be a rooster, he won't let him mate, eat around him and since it rains a lot over here he won't let him under the cover, they have known each other since the young one was hatched, and he lets my silkie rooster be a rooster so what gives?

Hmm, your rooster is being a rooster. It isn't in the nature of a rooster to share. His instincts tell him to keep and defend the hens for himself. In a natural flock the younger roosters would be driven out if possible by the dominant rooster.

Sometimes birds raised together will get along, and sometimes not, especially when the cockerel starts maturing. With lots of space, and separate areas, feeders, waterers, and places to hang out, it can work. Or not, especially in spring, when hormones are running high.
Have an alternative plan, in case injuries are happening, or there's just too much stress in the flock. One of them may need to move on.
I currently have three adult roosters, and three cockerels. So far, things are peaceful, BUT any time now, this can change.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom