Rooster w/ no hens doing egg song?!

torch21

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
I’ve read quite a few posts about roos doing the egg song, but mine is a mystery to me. I have two inside roos that live together, they both wear crow collars and have for several months (they were rescued together from a whole life rehab I interned at, and yes they get along).

My silkie roo has recently cut way back on his crowing, but now he’s doing the egg song for no apparent reason 3-6 times a day, every few hours. it’s a bit distressing! I’ll run in and nothing appears to be amiss, he’ll just be in his perch screaming the egg song even though they have no ladies. There are about 12 chickens + a roo outside, so checked to see if he’s hearing something stressful going on outside and nothing seems to be there either.

We let them out of their enclosure to run around the house everyday for 3-8 hours.

Any ideas out there?

And do you respond each and every time to this "song"? Chickens are among many animals that quickly learn cause/effect connections. In other words, There's a chance you're being played.

And do you respond each and every time to this "song"? Chickens are among many animals that quickly learn cause/effect connections. In other words, There's a chance you're being played.

Our cockerel we had would crow around the same time (mid morning/mid afternoon until I came and let them free range) so I can def agree to the cause and effect 🤪🤣

I just told mg husband to stop picking them up when they crow for this very reason. However neither of them seem to particularly like being held. They did get moved to our spare room which is mid renovation; they were in the livingroom where there’s a lot more action. Could it be that he’s bored bc he got used to seeing us constantly and being entertained simply by watching us come and go?

Roosters are happiest when they have hens to watch, mate, and boss around. They don't need to do all three at once or all the time. They are capable of entertaining themselves, much as dogs do when left to their own devices.

The one single thing that keeps a rooster content while eliminating all chaos, is to confine him in a small enclosure where he can watch the hens and talk to them. They can while away hours in complete contentment this way.

Back
Top Bottom