Rooster walking sideways at me

mnmama

Hatching
May 20, 2016
Minnesota
When we bought our chickens we thought we were getting all hens but one turned out to be a rooster. We don't live in the city so we can keep him. He is about 18 weeks old and for the last few days his behavior has changed. He will do a fast little walk sideways towards me and my 12 yr old daughter. I have read that this could be a sign of aggression or a mating dance. How should respond to this behavior? Also I was handfeeding 2 of the hens yesterday and he walked up to me and bit the back of my hand hard enough to make it bleed. I immediately picked him up and carried him around for awhile. My daughter is a little freaked out by Roo's new behavior. Can roosters sense fear like dogs supposedly can? And how should we react to his sideways walking?
Thanks

You should probably be rid of him. He's wing dancing for you, which is a mating dance, but also can be a sign of dominance. They will pick up and feed on fear, for your daughters safety I wouldn't keep him as things will probably escalate. Roosters should keep their distance if they respect you, yours doesn't unfortunately.

When we bought our chickens we thought we were getting all hens but one turned out to be a rooster. We don't live in the city so we can keep him. He is about 18 weeks old and for the last few days his behavior has changed. He will do a fast little walk sideways towards me and my 12 yr old daughter. I have read that this could be a sign of aggression or a mating dance. How should respond to this behavior? Also I was handfeeding 2 of the hens yesterday and he walked up to me and bit the back of my hand hard enough to make it bleed. I immediately picked him up and carried him around for awhile. My daughter is a little freaked out by Roo's new behavior. Can roosters sense fear like dogs supposedly can? And how should we react to his sideways walking?
Thanks
Hi check out the post (rooster randomly attacks) GC

That boy needs some serious dominance training. He is showing EVERY sign of beginning human aggression. If you have a roo in your flock, IMO, he should NOT be made into a pet. If you pick him up, it should only be for a lesson in human dominance. Hold him in the foot ball hold, and with your other hand, push his head down below his chest. Hold it there until he keeps it down willingly when you remove your hand. Be prepared for him to fight and try to bite. Grab his hackle feathers so he can't bite, and wear long sleeves. When he willingly submits, then lower him to the ground, while still restraining him. Again, push his head down and hold it there till he submits and stops struggling. As you release your grip, if he struggles, repeat the process until he willingly stays put while you let go of him. Never let him get within arm's reach of you. If he starts the dance, gets within arm's reach, or gives you the stink eye, immediately "walk through" him. In other words, head towards him, and keep plowing forward to make him get out of your way. Plow him along with your feet. Give chase until he runs for cover. Take a stick into the coop/run/yard with you, and when he shows up, use it to herd him around a bit. Where ever he happens to be standing, that's where you decide to be. Claim any bit of real estate he happens to be standing on. When you give treats to the girls, make him back off and don't let him have any until you say he can. Use your stick to herd him away from the treats. You don't hit him, simply use it to tap his tail to make him go where you want him to go. If you can get him under control immediately, you have a chance to rehab him. However, if this continues, he needs to go. The biggest concern is, that eventually, he will attack a human. And they go for the weakest human they see. It could be a visiting child. For that reason, I never allow children and roos in the same yard at the same time.

Thanks for the advice! I'd love to hear anymore u might think of. My roo is doing the wing dance at me too. He's about 19 weeks. At first I thought it was cute. He has never flogged me yet, but I've been concerned that he may become mean. I'll try your techniques.

He's been on a serious ego trip ever since the dominant male Guinea has been gone. I'm glad he's had a chance to be himself now, after being afraid he would never be a good man to my girls. I just want him to be a gentleman to MAMA!!

I was kind of afraid of what everyone is saying. We would love to keep him, if it was just my husband and I, I would have no problem working with him but I am afraid my daughter will always be a little Leary of him and he would pick up on that. I have been keeping a stick with me and hitting on the ground next to him when he did his dancing. We have raised them as pets and are new to chickens, he had always been the friendliest of the 5. But we didn't plan on having a rooster until we found out that he was one, he is great to have around for the hens but I don't want anyone to get hurt. Thanks for the replys!

I was kind of afraid of what everyone is saying. We would love to keep him, if it was just my husband and I, I would have no problem working with him but I am afraid my daughter will always be a little Leary of him and he would pick up on that. I have been keeping a stick with me and hitting on the ground next to him when he did his dancing. We have raised them as pets and are new to chickens, he had always been the friendliest of the 5. But we didn't plan on having a rooster until we found out that he was one, he is great to have around for the hens but I don't want anyone to get hurt. Thanks for the replys!
Familiarity breeds contempt........Get rid of him.

I have a bantam rooster a golden duckling game that I hatch & raised, he does this same dance when I come in sometimes other times he keeps his distance but he has never attack me or bite me & he is 2 years old he is friendly I can pick him up anytime I want to he also has a hen & 5 baby chicks in his coop right now & he shows no aggression to me. So he may not get worse mines never peck me either so idk know on that part. If it were me I keep him see how he is as he gets older if he gets worse I would replace him or just give him away! :)

Back
Top Bottom