Rooster was found dead. Don’t know what killed him

Chickmagnet2020

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2020
My 9 month old beloved Pinky was found dead in the farm.
Poor Pinky was sickly, lost an eye to a disease when he was a baby, and the growth was stunted.

I took all the care in the world to help him survive. And when I thought it was healthy enough, I left him in the farm with the flock for free grazing.

He did well for 4 months but suddenly he was found dead Alone in a corner of the farm, half eaten and mauled to death.(I didn’t have the courage to take pictures of the remains). It took us 2 days to even find the poor little thing.

I suppose he didn’t notice the predator as he was blind in one eye, or was too weak to make an escape.

Now I deeply regret for not taking a better care.

I don’t know what killed him, I’m guessing it was a jungle cat or something.

Please suggest how I can protect them from predators. Fencing etc isn’t possible so I started raising two pups. Its just a paddy/lemon farm in a small village

I miss you Pinky. I live with this regret for not being there when you needed me the most
CD791B21-0FF0-489F-99ED-74AF0EE4CD23.jpeg

52CD7871-78C0-40CA-AF43-5DEE7B0ACA82.jpeg

Attachments

• CEA45A36-4314-4AEC-8BD7-230BB453363F.jpeg
    CEA45A36-4314-4AEC-8BD7-230BB453363F.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Why can't you fence off a secure area for the birds? your pictures look like you have plenty of room. My birds all have nice large pens. I also have electric wires around the coops and pens. Nothing gets past the electric wires. If you have a game camera. You may find out what is lurking. If a predator killed you rooster, it will be back. Good luck...

Do you have a picture if the body where you found it?

I'm sorry you lost your bou. I know the feeling
Honestly, I didn’t have the courage to even look at it, much less take pictures of it. I was really attached to Pinky. My cousin who also works on the farm found the body. There were feathers all scattered around at the spot

So sorry for your loss. Why can't you fence off a secure area for the birds? your pictures look like you have plenty of room. My birds all have nice large pens. I also have electric wires around the coops and pens. Nothing gets past the electric wires. If you have a game camera. You may find out what is lurking. If a predator killed you rooster, it will be back. Good luck...
Thank you for your kind words.
The farm is used exclusively to grow paddy and lemons and borders are shared with other people’s farm. The chickens were a recent addition and I need to make huge changes to the farm to have a proper pen. I’m gonna do it after this harvest.
But I don’t think the local community would allow electric wires because their livestock would often free graze around the area ajd would be harmful to them.

If you have a game camera you will probably find out what predators are lurking and then you can form a plan to protect your birds by knowing what you are dealing with. Again, good luck...

Back
Top Bottom