Rooster will not eat bugs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rbriggum, Mar 20, 2012.

1. rbriggum

rbriggum New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    I have a RIR rooster, that happens to be my only chicken right now. He will be a year next month and has always been free ranging, never kept in a pen. He wonders around the barn, and when we arrive at the farm he comes running down the driveway to meet us. He is as tame as tame can be. I have never seen a rooster like him. I had three hens last year but gave them away when we moved. He did not care if you messed with his hens, he is just so loving. However his wierd or at last I think so because he will not eat bugs. You can put down different bugs in front of him and he looks at you like YOU are the crazy one. BUT put down Doritos and he will mean mug you to get them. He does eat his chicken feed, but man Doritos are his favorite. Is it "ODD" for a rooster not to like bugs???????????????????

2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    My little rooster, a bantum cochin, takes meal worms from me and drops them in front of the hens, but he also eat them himself. He never goes crazy for them the way the hens do. If I drop a bunch of mealies in front of him he calls the girls over and lets them eat first. He does that with all treats. I have never given him Doritos though. Maybe that's where he would draw the line on sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by