Rooster with 8 weekers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Countrypunk92, May 29, 2011.

1. ralleia

ralleia Songster

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    It really depends on the temperament of the rooster. I let broody hens rear their chicks with the general flock and my roosters have always just accepted them.

Just make sure that it is done when you can observe the reactions for a while. Pull up a lawn chair, get a beer (or whatever drink suits your tastes), and sit and watch to make sure it all goes ok. That way you can intervene if they need to remain separated.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do this routinely, but I know my stock well. Roosters / stocks likely differ. For me, roosters that pose risk to chicks are to be culled. Aggression of a lone adult rooster directed at chicks of that age is not natural. Too much breeding for production traits and looks with little consideration for social graces.

Yes, setup and watch interaction to ensure all goes as intended.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Songster

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Thank you. I found out this is a cockeral about 12 weeks, I will try and give it a shot.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:At 12 weeks, your "rooster" is little more than a chick himself. His merger with a group of 8-week old chicks will almost certainly have some pecking action, likely more than I expect from a full adult rooster, but all should work out just fine.

Rooster behavior is a function of more than breed or individual temperament as noted by several others previously. It can be function of social context and age of rooster with the latter being particularly of importance in your situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: